1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power at Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Aug 1, 2023.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i noticed people bringing their own breaker and wiring it to a plug for their trailer.
    was thinking of doing this as a backup in case the 5 plugs at each panel are taken before i get there.

i run 30a to my trailer. anyone got info on what i need as far as the breaker?
    single/double pull, fuse brand, GFI, NEMA TT-30 plug, size gauge wire....

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I trust water from Flint, MI more than I trust Road A power.

Bring a genny

Phl218, ToofPic, Waterboy and 2 others like this.
  3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

:crackup:Truth.
    Genny only for me at RA.
    I have melted 30 amp cords there before, damn lucky I had a good surge protector.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

As someone that has wired into those boxes, let me offer this up. If you aren't comfortable and familiar with making connections in a hot panel box, don't do it. You don't get to just plug a breaker in and be done. You have to make the other two connections in the box. I have a little electrical training, enough that I know how to wire it in, and what not to touch. It is actually a very hazardous thing to be playing with.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I think we took the same class. ;)

[​IMG]

stickboy274 and Wheel Bearing like this.
  6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I don't consider myself to be above elementary level of electrical knowledge, and have had a lot of friends say I know what I'm doing.

I sure as hell don't. I know my place, and that place isn't touch a live box at RA. Big 'ol "fuck no" from me.

stickboy274 likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've seen a few guys grab a breaker with a wire attached to an outlet they made. there is stuff on the panel itself that needs to be done too?

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The breaker wire will only be your hot, you still need a neutral and ground connection...

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

one year there was a huge puddle around a box... people abandoned 30 & 50 amp cables in the water. :)

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I’m actually surprised in this day and age of litigation, they allow anyone to dock around with a live panel and play @pickled egg

Seems to dangerous to me, I sure wouldn’t want that liability of it were my track, or forget the liability just knowing a bunch of idiots are stealing my powa!!!!

Banditracer likes this.
  11. stickboy274

This is correct. You will need a screwdriver, make sure its got some good insulation properties for the handle. You'll be in there looking for open spots in the buss bars for your wires to get connection. You may have ot move things around,

Don't let the people that gather around you ( they will do this ) fall into you and knock you into the hot parts. Then they will complain that you spilt their beer.

ToofPic, E Reed, TurboBlew and 3 others like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

That’s funny!!!

I can’t even imagine how pissed I would be if the guys watching are playing grab ass and bump in to me when I have my fingers in there.

ToofPic likes this.
  13. stickboy274

I had to tell a group to move away from me as I was in one of those boxes. Part of why I don't mess around in there anymore.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not allowed. It's just not currently actively enforced that it isn't allowed....

15. Boman Forklift

That makes more sense. In this litigious state, I can’t imagine anyone doing that here.

16. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Yeah, I don't know if they still do it but they were putting a sheet metal screw in some of the covers so they were "sealed" put that never stopped anybody. But they could at least say they had done that to prevent it in case somebody screwed up....

17. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Seems like something you just figure out in person, not ask on the internet.

E Reed likes this.
  18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

sort of a dumb question but why is the panel like 25% occupied then? they know their customers need power. that track has a lot of money invested in it, and the power seems to be Dollar Tree quality. i'm assuming customers have asked for more outlets, is there a reason they dont? if it's a supply issue, why wouldnt they lock the panel?

19. stickboy274

I've been told, they have an electrician on site for big car events. They wire up what the people need for their haulers. I haven't confirmed that.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They've been nice enough to leave the drops hooked up for us. That didn't used to be the case. For big events where the haulers need power they'll wire up what is needed if they actually need more. The paddock isn't designed as an RV park like Barber, it's built almost specifically for Petit LeMans and having semi trailers side by side all the way down so they don't need to have many drops per box.