1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potentiometer Mounts

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Michael Bassani, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

There is not a modern thread about Potentiometer Mounts as far as I can see.

I've been bashing my head against the wall trying to find a solution I can just buy for my bike but I've been unsuccessful. I started designing a part but before I get much further I need to make sure I'm not in a situation of 'Not knowing what I don't know'. I've got two problems I am trying to solve for my 2014 CBR600RR, and I am hoping there is a solution that I can simply buy that I have not found with my searching.

Forks:

There is not a plug and play lower mount for the CBR as far as I can see.
    The upper mount is readily available from i2m, but as far as a lower mount goes there is not any solution I can just buy that I am confident in.
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.43.18 AM.png
    How are people mounting their Pots to their forks?
    My options right now seem to be either putting a second i2m around the fork tube lower, or to tap an M4x0.7 thread into the fork lower unless there is another solution I am not considering.

Shock:
    I use an Ohlins TTX GP which has threaded holes for a potentiometer mount already, but mounting it where Ohlins left the threads is not possible on the CBR specifically.
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.53.21 AM.jpeg
    There is about 5mm of clearance between the shock and the frame, meaning no room for a pot mount. The upper mounts are at 0 and 90 degrees offset from what appears to be Ohlins intended mounting, but due to the frame clearance issues neither will work.
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.50.29 AM.jpeg

I ran with the idea of rotating the lower mount on the shock 180 degrees, and started designing a bracket that would locate and mount around the existing shock upper pot mounts, and let me run the sensor that way. Ohlins does not have a thread for the pot 180 degrees offset, so I was forced to start designing a bracket to 3d print.
    There are some concerns about sensor body clearance at full compression due to the movement of the Unit Pro Link geometry even if I got it to fit.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.36.59 AM.png

At this point I am hoping someone has another solution for how to mount the pot in the rear.
    Either some bracket I have not seen yet, or some nut/collar mount. I am trying to keep the pot sensors straight to avoid any deflection under compression as well, so mounting the pots at an angle is not really an ideal solution.

I know it's firmly in the "why are you trying to do this" category to put pots on a CBR600, but I am stubborn and use my bike as a test bed. If Honda would release the "Race Base" new CBR600RR that is available in Japan, I'd sell this clunker and race that instead.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You need standoffs. I have a bunch at the shop but I'm at NJMP for the weekend. If you shoot me a message and remind me Monday I could probably sort out what you need.

3. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

I'll do that, appreciate it!

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

On the RS660 I made my own setup for the front, and tapped the lower fender mount with an M3, then used some spacers to make it work. I almost went with plan B and used a modified fender bolt.

I tried the Robem 3d printed setup but it didn't work for my shock- they use a different preload collar. My shock pot is mounted to threaded shock mount bolts, with a 3d printed standoff from CarbonSmith.

With any bike other than one that is commonly and currently raced, you're going to have to tinker. Which in my case was half the point of the project, anyway. Also AIM makes a few different length pots, with some different ends. Some have the eyelet and some have a ball joint.

Michael Bassani likes this.