Portable Compressor

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Mar 14, 2017.

1. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I am new to portable compressors. While researching, I came upon this.

It seems like a pretty good sale - Craftsman 3 Gallon plus accessories $90 shipped.

http://www.sears.com/3-gallon-1.0-h...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

maintenance of oil worthwhile trade-off vs noise of non oil?

Is this the right size compressor for an impact wrench to remove a Ducati rear axle nut?

Thanks for your insight!

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Oiless suck, so I would prefer this over an oil free. That said, about the only thing I use a compressor for is tires or blowing stuff off.
    Buy a cordless impact(I really like my new Milwaukee brushless stuff) and not have to sorry about lugging a compressor around.

bleacht likes this.
  3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I have this an use it all the time. Love that little thing. No problem setting the bead on the race bike either when I change my own tires.

4. TSAVO5150

TSAVO5150 ASMA #70

I've had this compressor for over 10 years, works great never any problems.

5. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

Anthony,

The compressor you are looking at seems like a decent deal for 90 bucks, but I doubt that thing is going to be able to budge a rear axle nut (especially if it hasn't been removed yet since being installed by the factory). The rear axle nut on my MV is factory installed with a torque rate of 240 nm and required a 6 foot extension on a 1/2" wrench with 180 lbs. body standing on the extension to get that thing to budge --- I'm guessing that your axle nut is likely installed with the same/similar torque specs.

6. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will call you Greg.

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

That would easily operate a huge impact gun on one wheel at a time. My old ten gallon compressor can R&R all four wheels on a car without coming back on until the last wheel installation.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

18 volt Milwaukee....an impressive tool. I've standardized on Milwaukee so I always have interchangable batteries. About $300 for a kit with 2 batteries and charger.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Have you gone brushless? The 1/2" is damn impressive. Word is that the Dewalt is actually even stronger, but I wont buy yellow anymore. My 3/8" has become my go to now, as opposed to the 1/4" hex impact.

10. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

If OP is not seating his own tires, compressor may not be the best option. In the last 5 to 10 yrs Cordless impacts have come alooooooong way. The power, Torque and Battery life is impressive. In the past Air power was the only way to fly, not anymore. I don't lug mine around anymore

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I've had a few friends suggest getting a battery impact and when I was due for a new gun, I tried one and won't look back. I went with my tried and true Ingersoll-Rand brand and I absolutely LOVE it. I will never buy an air impact again. I was concerned with battery life/power, but the thing holds a charge for like 3 months. Takes an hour to recharge if it's completely dead, though to be honest, us shade tree mechanics don't use them enough to actually use up all the battery. It is slightly bulkier than an air gun because of the battery, but not having the air hose hanging off is just amazing. I use it to set the stabilizer jacks on the toy hauler. I bring a socket to fit my truck's lug nuts in the event I have to change a tire on the side of the road. I also have a IR compressor (biggest one they make in a 110v) that only gets used to blow shit off/air up tires and run my tire machine.

Another awesome thing I love is that when you let up on the trigger, it stops. Instantly. You know how you lose lug nuts when you let off because the socket keeps spinning and flings the lug nut across the garage? Not with these.

Buy a quality impact like this and never use air again.

http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-rand-w7150-k1.aspx

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. socal

socal Well-Known Member

That is one impressive impact wrench!

cav115 likes this.
  13. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

+1 on Milwaukee. I just scooped up an 18v Fuel drill/driver set. It doesn't hurt that they support the sport either.

14. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Super impressive but not sure I'd need an impact driver like that, ever. I deliberately got one with about 1/5th that rating so I could use it on the bike and around the house.

15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Dude it is flat out awesome. Accept no substitutes. I am to Ingersoll-Rand what Melka is to Michelin (except I don't get any perks)...but seriously, a fantastic tool to have. It will remove any bolt or nut, or snap it in half in the process. Either way, it will get removed. If you used a torque stick for installation, it'd take like 20 seconds to remove and install a Ducati rear rim.

cav115 likes this.
  16. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Agreed with all the above posts. I prefer a pancake portable compressor (I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K34UZBW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but it's not for impact stuff.

In my own shop I have a very stout 10hp 80gal commercial compressor that can sustain 34cf at 125psi. My air impact is an IR 1/2" TiMax.

But a couple years ago I picked up a Milwaukee https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AKKJB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and that stays in the trailer. It's ridiculously strong and convenient. Just like what WB said about the IR, it's crazy strong, the battery lasts like forever, it's durable as can be, comes with two batteries, case.

My advice - forget about an air impact for portable stuff. Stick with a good quality (IR, Milwaukee) 1/2" cordless. If you want a compressor for just air, get something really portable and convenient.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Even though I have an air compressor at home and work, I ended up buying both the 1/4 Milwaukee and the 1/2 Milwaukee after borrowing someone's at the track, to get a clutch basket nut off. They are great to use.

I think I paid 199 for the 1/4 drive impact the drill motor, 2 batteries and charger. Then later added the 1/2 impact. The batteries do last forever.

18. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  19. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Do they have a kick when/while the impact wrench operates at such a high torque setting??

20. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

If you mean the cordless ones like I mentioned above, then not really. They really really work well.

A few weeks ago at Jennings a buddy had a rear axle nut on his Ducati that just wouldn't come off. People tried everything. Air impact, long breaker bar, corded electric impact, you name it. Nothing would take it off. He had pretty much given up. I grabbed my Milwaukee cordless, and about 5 seconds later it was off. No muss, no fuss.