1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit Bull trailer restraint installation

Discussion in 'General' started by benfer, Feb 2, 2011.

1. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

Go easy on tightening your axle nut down once you remove that washer. If you overtighten it the cup can oval a bit and make engaging the pin difficult. On my SV I simply loosened the axle nut a turn before loading.

Love the restraint!! A lot more room for track stuff in the Tundra without straps.

2. pearsonm

pearsonm Well-Known Member

I think the axle nut torque listed in the owner's manual of most Japanese sportbikes is 90-100Nm. Is there a recommended torque with the cup installed?

3. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

I never bothered to find out. I started by doing a "dry" fit while on the track stand. Insert the pin in the cup and tighten the axle slowly, you will be able to tell if/when the pin starts to bind. This may have been an SV specific issue, so perhaps it is irrelevant on your model.

4. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

We designed it with factory torque settings in mind. Just use your factory settings and it should be fine.

5. KrashBandit

Extra spacers...you mean the extra under-side floor plates? Yeah, just give us a call or email info @ pit-bull.com

We thought about a portable worktable but Richard at Apex Manufacturing has started selling his and although it's not on their site as of this moment, it is good enough that we don't see the need to produce one. Check out their site when you have a chance: http://www.apexmfg.com/ We may start selling these for him in the future...it's a nice product.

6. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

George, I just received mine today and was installing it in my trailer when I noticed a few things that I was hoping for some clarification on:

1. You mentioned a "silver cup" that replaces the axle washer in a previous post regarding an SV650. Is that only on certain bikes? I have an 06 GSXR600 and I only have two pins, so I wanted to make sure.

2. Since my trailer has 2x6 flooring, I needed longer bolts than the stock ones. I ended up picking up some 4" hex bolts, but the head isn't quite as large as the stock bolts. Do you guys make a 3.5" or 4" bolt that I could buy?

3. Since the torque setting is 8 lbs., the bolts aren't going to be exerting a force downward onto the latch assemblies to secure them to the plate. Am I correct in thinking that the bolts are merely to hold the plate and mushroom standoffs in place while the latch assemblies are "free-floating" (for lack of a better term) because the frame assembly will prevent the latch assemblies from sliding out once everything is in place?

Thanks!

7. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

That's a coincidence, I just received mine today too and needed longer bolts also. How bout that...

8. KrashBandit

The "silver cup" is only needed on a few bikes(mainly ones like the SV that have a solid rear axle or a very small diameter hole in the rear axle). You do not need them on the GSXR's.

We have 3" bolts available for 2x6 flooring. Just email or call us with your shipping information and we'll mail you a few of the longer bolts.

That's exactly right. The latch assembly is held in place by the spring pin with the additional safety of the slots only allowing them to slide inward(which is impossible with the restraint frame in place between the latches on either side). If you overtighten the bolts, you will find the latches are no longer "quick-release" as the either the mushroom spacer will get crushed OR the floor plate itself will become slightly deformed by the excess force and the latches will not slide out easily.

9. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

Thanks, George. Email is on its way!

10. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

I cannot afford an enclosed trailer yet so I rent a 5 X 8 enclosed U-Haul trailer. I used a piece of 1/4 flat plat and drilled it to match the bolts holding the floor of the U-Haul. I then welded inserts (from the bottom up) in the plate matching the PB TR plate. After the plate is mounted in the U-Haul, I cover it with 3/4 plywood and bolt the PB TRs down. I can fit two bikes, a canopy, Geodesic tent, gas cans and other stuff in there. This is what it all looks like out of the trailer. I will take some pictures on Thursday when I have it installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  11. macky

macky Active Member

hi, i just ordered the restraint for my 06 gixxer. using it in an all aluminum 5x8 open trailer. can u tell me if ill have to do anything special since the floor of the trailer is aluminum maybe plywood underneath? any help appreciated

12. KrashBandit

Definitely reinforce that aluminum deck with plywood or steel somehow. Aluminum doesn't have the necessary strength. I know one customer mounted 2 x 6 boards between his frame spars and bolts them to the frame, then the restraint to the 2 x 6(through the aluminum mesh floor).

13. macky

macky Active Member

would that be necessary if the deck of my trailer isnt mesh. if so do you think i should mount the base directly to the aluminum deck, then use 2x6's underneath? trailer looks like this.

Attached Files:

14. KrashBandit

Aluminum is too soft for mounting without additional steel or wood. I wouldn't trust it...mount through the aluminum deck and then an additional 3/4" plywood or 2"x8"(sorry I said 2x6 earlier...forgot a 2x6 isn't really 6" wide). With that additional "meat" under the aluminum floor you should be fine.

The Trailer Restraint is designed to take literally thousands of pounds of pressure from the side without breaking. Try to mount it securely enough to let that design do it's job and keep the bike from becoming a projectile in a collision.

I've mentioned it before, but I also have some small unplated "cut outs" that are the leftovers from lightening the floor plate. Those can be used as giant underside double washers and I'll send them for free to anyone who wants them...just cover shipping.

15. macky

macky Active Member

cool thanks. pm me the paypal addy. so if i use those cut outs, would the order go like the drawing? also attached is a pic of the underside of the trailer. can i just cut the wood to fit into one of those squares for each place the bolts go for the restraint or go the entire width of the trailer? sorry for all the questions i just wanna make sure if i launch my bike i have a better story to tell than it fell off my trailer.

Attached Files:

16. KILLEN

KILLEN Ninjafied

I just submitted an order for a restraint. Can you include one of these for me??

Also, question. A friend brought up a curious point to me the other day.... How does the front end of the bike react during transport since it wont be strapped down? Does the front wheel slap around side to side or anything? Would it be a good idea to still at least hold, but not tighten, the front or maybe keep the front wheel in a wheel chock/condor?

Thanks!:up:

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Just turn the bars in one direction. If you leave the bike as is, the front wheel will have a tendency to turn one way. No wheel chock, tie downs or anything else necessary.
    So awesome the trailer restraints are .. Now if Charlie could just find a special way to make one for a Zuma, we'd be in heaven. :beer:

18. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

Has anyone istalled these on a Kendon fold up trailer? Thinking of doing it, but want to see what was needed first.

Thanks, Mike

19. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

I ditched the trailer and went with a Van, Man i love this restraint setup!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. KrashBandit

We looked at the Zuma...doesn't appear to be anything on both sides of the bike(around the axle area) that lines up from one side to the other. Sucks because I've had 3 requests for Zuma pin kits in the last two weeks