1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli SC or Dunlop 211 gpa(ama model)

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by KawiForLife, Feb 28, 2011.

1. exfix

exfix Well-Known Member

I have used the SC2s for 2 years and just put some NTECs on. WOW what a difference. Dunlops have much better grip.

2. gsxramar

gsxramar Well-Known Member

Stay away from power race . I have the same problem . I tried dunlop slick Omg I love them . Power race put me on top of my wind screen . Beside the fact that I was slipping all over . The funny thing is they were new set . I want to try supercorsa. I heard great things about them

3. got40

got40 On hiatus...

If I had to pick between the two, it'd be the Pirellis. They have god's own edge grip and I ride the front of the bike more than the rear. Problem is they're too squishy and Dunlops are so stiff, so I ride Continental, which is a nice middle ground.

And I took a win and second this past sunday at the ASRA Roebling round, so they work.:)

4. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried Bstones? I find they are stiffer then pirellis but I don't know if they are stiffer than the dunlops as I have not tried the dunlops yet.

5. Goat

Goat Apex Assassins Ops

I've been running Pirelli's on my 03 MilleR and have loved em. I was on Corsa III's for the last 2 years and just went through my first set of SC's out here in the SouthWest at INDE and Arroyo Seco. I'm just starting my head-long rush into racing, so all this was TD use.
    I love my Pirelli's a lot, and I was flying on the SC's, but they wear out wicked fast.
    So, I just bought my first set of Dunlops, the new 211GPA, and I'll be running them next week at INDE. Stoked to see what all the hype is about, I hang out with some fast guys that absolutely swear by the stuff Dunlop is putting on these days. So we shall see. Im not going to out ride the SC or the 211, but if I can get more laps out of one over the other with consistent feel and performance, we're golden. Cause I am spending all my money on tires and I not even racing yet!!!!

6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I don't see where people say the SC's wear out fast. I had an SC1 rear at chuchwalla this past weekend and it had about 50% life left when I started and now it has about 20% life left. That was running in the 51's out there which is pretty quick. I think your set up isn't right.

7. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Thats on an 07 gsxr 1000

8. Goat

Goat Apex Assassins Ops

Could be a set-up issue. I was running the Corsa III's for a little while street and track getting 5k plus outta the rear. Sag is set for the shock. My forks are in the shop right now getting a much needed refresh.
    I did buy the OEM SC's though that come stock on the 1198/RSV4. I did a full day at INDE, riding double sessions in the afternoon. and then a half day at Arroyo, and I am about another have day away from done on the rear tire. I am running a big ole Mille and around 29-30 psi HOT rear tire pressure (maybe thats my issue?). We are going to re-sag the bike though with the 211's and the front end work and see where that lands me.

PS-I love CVR

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  9. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

Do not buy the dunlop special....you will not be pleased i promise....pirelli....talk to h8r

10. got40

got40 On hiatus...

yes. I've ridden them. I think all the vendors ride each others stuff. And, as much as I would like to say we have the best tires in the world, they're all good, with strong points and weak ones.

Try them all, give them a fair shake. Don't go by hearsay. Figure out where you make your time and pick a tire that matches your strengths. Me personally I like the bike a little loose, so I prefer a softer carcass (conti or pirelli) to a harder one (Dunlop or bstone). Stick, Leon, Paul, or myself will mm sure you hv everything u need if your in the southeast.

Good luck with your decision.

11. sgr62004

sgr62004 Well-Known Member

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I don't think you should blame the Michelins, I've been getting on the podium consistantly on them for the last 3 yrs. And the guy that's been winning the class is on them too.

13. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

fast guys are on dunlops it seems. last longer too...

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

There are fast guys on just about every brand.

15. got40

got40 On hiatus...

What? I thought it was always the tires.

16. got40

got40 On hiatus...

There is an AMA spec contract....:Poke:

Good races at Roebling. You looked real good out there.:up:

17. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

:stupid:
    yeah, but they choose the Dunlops b/c of the longivity on those tires.... I like Michellins but I switch to Dunlops b/c of that.... and they give me as close feel as the Michellins....

right now I am on the 211gp-a and I like them, next step NTEC 211 6680 :bow:
    my 2cts :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  18. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

I will correct myself, the really fast guys are on b'stones...since that's who has the motogp contract.

My comment is based on what I've seen/heard over the past 2 years while selling over 250 sets of Dunlops. Also listening to the folks at the edge of the track record and how they choose one tire over another even if the other was free... At the end of the day, whatever tire YOU think works best is the best tire for YOU. Cause we all know it's in our head! Gotta have that confidence in your tires or everything else falls to crap...quickly...and painfully! Hell, I wanna try a race on street tires!!!

And thank you sir, were you in there too? Sorry, still putting board names to faces/names in person.... Did you happen to catch my offroad experience coming out of T9? It ain't racing till I got mud on the tires!!

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

What kind of times were you running at Roebling, Marcus?

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Jensen went pretty fast on Michelins. I think there are a few track records somewhere with his name on them. Pirelli had a few D200 wins to their credit before the spec tire. JU thought the tires were good enough to go big show racing on. So did Attack.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Eric Stump was on Pirellis when he set the lap record at NJMP Lightning. I could be wrong on that one, though. I think he was switching back and forth between Dunlops and Pirelli for the club rounds.

However, I do agree with what you said about it being in riders' heads. For the vast majority of the riders out there, it's not about the outright performance of the tire, it's what they think they can do on that tire.