1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli SC or Dunlop 211 gpa(ama model)

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by KawiForLife, Feb 28, 2011.

1. KawiForLife

KawiForLife [IMG]http://i18.photobuck

Trying to get some good rubber that i will feel confident with and set the bike up! I can get a set of pirelli SC any compound for the same price as dunlops gpa not the european model but the ama spec tires! Im sure some of u guys have given both a whirl and can help me get a little imput of what way to go! After lowsiding twice at the last trackday i definatly know i wont be going back to a michelin power race tire, however that may have been on me since i was running 31f-28r that day.

Any help is greatly appreciated!:up:

Thanks

John

2. nickhepler2

nickhepler2 Well-Known Member

i prefer pirelli but they do not pay contingency anymore

3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I like the Pirellis, always have. I bought some Dunlops for this season because the price was right and I just really wanted to try something different. I havent tried the Dunlops yet but I hear good things about them.

My advice would be just buy a set of Dunlops and try them out. If you dont like them go back to the Pirellis. You wont really know how well you like them until you try them out yourself.

4. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Michelin power one. V front and B rear :up:

5. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

I'm a Pirelli guy.

That being said, if I lowsided twice in one track day, I wouldn't be looking to blame the tire. Instead, I would be asking myself what I did wrong that caused me to lowside twice (beyond setting the tire pressures).

But that's just me.

Just sayin...

6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I liked the dunlops good feedback and great drive grip didn't last very long though. I am trying the Pirelli's this weekend so I will post back here on my thoughts.

7. KawiForLife

Thanks for the feedback guys! :up: Imsure some of the problem with the lowsides was on me but, i never had any problems with traction with my other set up dunlop N-tec slicks 125f-200r! With the michelins on it was a totally different animal! Just looking to correct the problem and get a setup im confident with
    Thanks again!

8. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Dunlop Gp211 N-tec here..Havent used pirelli's,michelin in yearssss

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The general consensus here is that all of the tire manufactureres produce good rubber. Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli all make tires that can work for 95% of club racers. Some say Dunlop Ntecs made in the UK are a step above but most of us couldn't ride to their ability and for 500 bones a set they should come with a complimentary happy ending. Have you spent any time with a suspension guy looking at your set up. Also, the power race tires are Michelins last generation tire. How old was that thing, compound, and was it properly stored?

10. KawiForLife

Yes i had a great set up prior to changing the wheels and tires! Im hoping it was just a bad day, with me not being patience enough to let the tire warm fully(w/ warmers)! I first laided the bike down in session #1 on lap 3 but the bike was all over the place leading up to the first lowside! 3rd session was a little better, but couldnt keep even a subdued pace going! Then in the fourth i laided the bike down lap one in the same place as the first, but i was no where near even close to a warmup pace(lap time 1:35 p.b.i.r) i just lost the front when i tipped it in! I had a set of 16.5 with dunlop N-tec slicks prior to the switch to the power race and i could run a consistant pace with no wiggles what so ever, but i cant run this set up in club racing so i have to find a setup that works with dots. So back to the drawing board! I can get both sets at about 350 a pop, and no way do i need a 500 set of tires at my level!
    Thanks again guys Leaning towards the dunlops!:up:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  11. KawiForLife

[​IMG]
    1:35 on a crap set up normal lap time 1:29 p.b.i.r
    [​IMG]
    O well come back strong next time

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I have used B-Stones, Pirellis, and Dunlops, and gave them all a fair shake; meaning I used them for a season or more. I hated the Stones, couldn't get them to work with my 600. The Pirellis gripped great and slid very predictably but didn't last that long. Fronts are about the best out there. I changed to Dunlops because Sam Gaige, a guy that had been on Pirelliellis forever said I would like them better. The Pops were the best of both worlds where they slid predictably, last way longer than the Pirellis, and the fronts would last forever. YMMV.

13. KawiForLife

Any idea on the difference between the 211 gp-a ntec and the 209's! Im leaning towards the dunlops and have to pull the trigger on a tire this weekend Thanks guys for the imput!:up:

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

211s are an entire step up from a 209.

15. KawiForLife

Cool i saw dunlop was running a 3 tire deal but i learned my lesson on going cheap for tires!

16. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

^^^i just got that deal

17. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Yeah I bought 2 fronts and 4 rears about a month ago.

18. cMac

cMac Conservatively Libral

Your problem is not tires. It sounds like you need to research the difference in tire diameters and how it has changed you geometry. From there it may be necessary to adjust the damping to compensate for difference in carcass construction and compound. Continuously switching brands will only cause more confusion.

19. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Pirelli SC - I just got back from the track and rode these tires for the 1st time. I am in love. The feel so much better, amazing feed back aren't super stiff. It makes the ride smooth. I almost tucked the front once it slide for about 4 feet but, I knew it let go. I picked it up and saved it. I have never been good with front end feel. With this tire I could feel everything. I am not going back to dunlops. I took my buddy's 09 gsxr 1000 out which had a set of dunlop slicks mounted, They are to stiff for me. I just didn't have the confidence in them as I did the Pirelli's. I was riding an 07 gsxr 1000. ohlins 25 mil - ttx rear. I was at chackwalla fastest time was 1:51.9.

20. KawiForLife

Very true! My whole reason for trying to get imput on these 2 tires is im going to setup my bike for a 17" dot tire! The bike was initally set up for a different wheel size, but i cant run 16.5 wheels in my class. So now im trying to compile as much info and imput on these 2 tires so i can have the bike set up for one type of tire! I have also lost 40lbs since the bike was last set up! Im sure some of that factored in to a bad day, but its time to turn the page and get the right setup with one type of tire! Totally agree with ya and its what im trying to correct! So far its looking like im going to go w the dunlop 211 gp-a! trying to get the bike set up for the 20th!:up: