Peter on Good Morning America

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Aug 30, 2010.

1. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

My heart is going effin nuts right before that green flag, but once it drops and i'm passed the first corner it all seems to slow down.

I live for that moment.

2. TPapp

TPapp Active Member

Is 13 too young for full roadracing? I don't think so. As a 14 year old I was road racing 125cc shifter karts on tracks like Big Willow, etc. Top speeds of around 115-120 mph while 4 or 5 of us were literally bump drafting (and keep in mind this is with open wheels). At that age I already knew the consequences of my actions and was just as vigilant about the other guy's safety as my own. I think people underestimate how much responsibility a teenager can handle, instead it seems most want to coddle their kids until they are "old enough". Bubble wrap indeed.

One of the things that crossed my mind after I heard about Peter's accident was that somebody would use it as to condemn our sport and even get it banned. Yes she did just say that an entire sport should be banned. What I think is funny is that she is a Child Rights lawyer yet no one asked her, "If a child is passionate about an activity the he/she does, no matter what it is, is it not their RIGHT to participate in that activity?".

The majority of people will not understand our side of the argument. But I think most people in America can agree on the moto "Don't tell me how to raise my kid".

3. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

Foxnews should've gotten the other side too, not just Wendy Murphy:down: I can't believe she suggested maybe a social worker pay the Lenz family a visit. :crackhead:

I'm gonna be a caring, protective father, but I will never let anyone tell me how to raise my kids.

4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

The guy had a reasonable opinion, one that I happen to agree with. How does anything he said make him a dipshit?

5. caferace

caferace No.

In the spirit of full disclosure, the GMA producer (Bret) contacted me and my co-host/photog Jules for comment and photos Sunday afternoon right after we got back to our hotel. I'm guessing it was from a lead based on the interview we did with Peter last week. I'd already read a crapload of BS media online and while I was tempted to ignore it GMA was national, and so I called him back. Essentially I gave him the racers-eye viewpoint and said if they were looking for a Fox News-ish type piece I wasn't at all interested, and we spent maybe 20 minutes on the phone. He was also looking for photos and so I said I'd check with Jules and call him back.

I then talked with Jules, advised him to only send Saturday shots (he was also shooting in T4 during the crash) and related the call and he said OK. So I called him back, we talked for another 15 and I said until I talked with the reporter who was going to do the story that it was a no go. I wanted to know she wasn't going to fuck it up. He conferenced me up with her (Barbara from Chicago, I believe) and I related my same thoughts in a thoughtful yet stern-ish manner. I think I got through.

I've not seen the Good Morning America bit, but desperately I hope they got it right. I really, really tried to give a racing perspective while making sure they didn't besmirch Peter's memory ...

-jim

6. CWN racing

CWN racing Well-Known Member

maybe, but probably not. Dont be a fool. I bet at 20 I had my shit together more than you now. I was just fearless, and didn't understand that part of life. That was the point.

I think this is the problem here....

7. GIXXERMO600

GIXXERMO600 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your thoughtful and professional responses! :up:

8. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

9. Indetrucks

Indetrucks Well-Known Member

It's controversy, whether it's right or wrong, controversy sells.
    The channel is doing their job of keeping you tuned in.

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

11. BD95

BD95 Active Member

I'm not a fool. Quite a few of you are not giving these kids any credit. Most of these kids have taken a different approach through elementary and middle school. I have always told my son's that they have chose a road less traveled for there age,by there choice not mine.
    I have lost a son to racing at only ten years old. That was all he wanted to do was race and see all his friends at the tracks.Most of there best friends are from different states throughout the country.
    After Ethan had past,my wife and I heard countless people second quess us for our choice of our kids racing.Some of those comments cuts so deep that they will never heal. We asked Hayden and Frankie Lee after Ethans death what they wanted to do, there responce was to continue racing,that was a 12 and 14 year olds choice at the time. They have always known what the consequece have been,they have been injured,but only want to race.
    I have always been a believer that the day you take your first breath,the day you take your last breath has already been determined by the man above, its's your choice how you use your time to touch as many people in your life .That is something i have tyryed to instill in my kids.You can not be scared to die,it's gonna happen,you have no choice when,but where you do,doing something you love,with the people you love. Enough rambling,you people who are scared to let your kids race,ask Hayden,Frankie Lee and JD Beech they're views and get back with me.
    Frank Gillim

12. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

You would be surprized how many kids are killed or crippled each year playing football, basball, and hockey. You just don't hear about it. There is an organization down in Texas started by a highschool student who was paralized playing football in order to help other athletes cope with thier injuries. It was really heart wrenching too see how many other kids belong to the organization. Some even passed away after years of being wheel chair bound from complications. Life can just be mean.

13. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

Again, many many more kids play those sports vs roadracing motorcycles

14. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

Exactly. I think half these dudes are trying to live vicariously through their children.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Some may well be. Others may just be trying to give their kids an opportunity they didn't have. But go on with your self righteous I know better than anyone else self.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So if the interest is keeping children from harm, wouldn't one serious injury or death be too many?

17. SlyRy

SlyRy Registered user

will do :)

18. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Great post. Thanks.

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

:stupid:

Can't remember where but I remember reading an excerpt from Earl when asked about the dangers of his son's racing. His answer was more or less that his kids could be out getting drunk and doing drugs, instead the were with their family every weekend doing what they love and being successful.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I flipped out when she said that. My first thought was that I hoped the kid never sees this report. My second thought was that she needs to be kicked in her lady business.