Peter on Good Morning America

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Aug 30, 2010.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Did the FOX chick really say, and I somewhat quote: " How is the 12yr. old boy that hit Peter, gonna live with the tragedy, knowing that HE killed his 13yr. old friend."

Unbelievable..She completely blamed the other rider...Xavier? Correct?

2. Squigs

Squigs Well-Known Member

Im not sticking up for the other people against Peter, im just simply saying this..

Thats because not every 13 year old kid picks up a motorcycle and goes to the track to race. Not everyones dad/mom will spend thousands of dollars on the sport.

Its easy for a 13 year old to pick up a skateboard, or a bike, or swim in a pool, or join the schools sport team etc..

When your 13, you dont think about going to Barber to race a motorcycle, you think about doing what all your other friends do, pick up a skateboard, go to a friends pool etc.

my point is, these are COMMON sports for kids.

Racing a motorcycle at 13 is not.

AGAIN I AM NOT DISSING PETER. He was an amazing racer.

3. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

4. And because it's more common, the risk is generally more readily accepted or overlooked.

5. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I think the earlier point about the number of kids racing mx is a very valid point. There are thousands and thousands of them every weekend in every state and I promise you that MANY young lives are lost every year at mx tracks with no media mention of it. Heck, just drive around and it is very common to see "memory" stickers on the back of vehicles honoring fallen young mx racers. This also goes for bmx racing, skateboarding, and Im sure a few others. Its the responsibilty of the parents to discuss this with their parents. To be honest, as a club racer myself I have had the discussion with my daughters that there is a chance that I could die on my motorcycle and that I always want them to know how much I love them. Does she understand.....hopefully but Im not 100% sure. We each have to choose how we live our lives and raise our children. That is infact what parenting is all about!

6. TEFLON434

TEFLON434 Well-Known Member

"Racers Race"

Precious thoughts to the family!!!!

7. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

:down: I can't believe what I just watched....."turning in parents to social services", are you kidding me. Ok lets stop all motorsports and extreme sports to all young people. This is absolute madness and total liberal bullcrap at its best. Sorry for the rant, I just can't believe what I just watched.:down:

8. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

The Fox team did a great job of supporting Peter and his folks. Martha has always been my favorite Fox host and her closing remarks about putting the decision in the parents hands was right on. Not to sound cliche, this was a balanced report w/the Fox team in support of the racing and obviously in opposition to the guest.

10. OptimizedGSXR

OptimizedGSXR Well-Known Member

I want to kick that cunt in the forehead.

11. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

X6

12. BD95

BD95 Active Member

Dipshit

13. kmac

kmac Well-Known Member

Peter's passing is a shock to all of us and really hits hard to those of us who have enabled our kids to race. Most of us were racers at some point in our life and passed our love of motorcycles onto our kids. Ours kids jumped at the chance to ride a bike (ever meet a kid that didn't want to ride) and eventually moved onto the race track. As parents we bought the bikes, gear and paid the entries fees, so ultimately we made the decision to take them racing...........We are responsible, no way around it!

I have watched each of my three boys crash in a big way and take a ride in the flashy bus and even take a ride to the hospital. Scared the crap out of me and was even worst for their mother. So why do we continue to do this? Because as my wife and I sat on the porch talking to my youngest son (16 yrs) about Peter and the stories on Fox he keep saying Dad and mom I know I can be hurt or killed, but I love it so much and nothings compares to racing nothing.

So this weekend our family will be together at Tally, our boys laughing, working together and racing as a team. I will be praying all weekend for their and everyones safety.

Sorry for the rambling post, but this dicussion is good in that each parent needs to think this through completely and not just push it out of their mind.

God Bless you Peter and prayers for your family.

14. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

You know when i was 9 my mom told me it was stupid to ride dirt bikes. That i could potentially destroy my dreams of playing college basketball. It didnt matter. I wanted to ride. Told my dad that and soon i had an XR100. he taught me how to ride and prayed. I understood the risk. I didnt go on to play basketball. Quit in hs. But i still understand the risks today at age of 22.

15. BD95

BD95 Active Member

Apparently kids of this day in roadracing are much more mature at 12 than you could be at 20.

16. my dad wasn't a racer, but when he taught me to ride he gave me advise that is with me 20 years later. " the moment you don't fear what this thing can do, park it and walk home.".

17. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I couldn't agree more.

They make their money selling controversy, regardless of facts. The days of honorable reporting, i.e. providing factual information without intertwining canned opinion - have long been over.

I always enjoy how the media encourages the sheeple to jump on the condemnation bandwagon. Much of the general public has been programmed to have some level of fear in just about every facet of life, and are unwilling to take even calculated risks. These are the same cattle that will drive will drive past a mugging because they don't want to get involved, yet have no problem throwing out their opinion after the fact when it's all safe.

The fact is Peter accomplished more for himself in his short time on this earth then most average folks could ever imagine.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have approached riding with that thought in mind for over 30 years.

19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i agree with the first part of your statement as being ridiculous. Somebody really should punch that lady in the face. However I'd just like to point out that A) Fox News is generally conservatively (i hate even using those two words... conserv/lib.) bias in its reporting, and B) closing down an entire activity because one person or a group in itself deems it unsafe or outrageous, can't really get more textbook as to defining conservative behavior if it tried.

at least if you're going to rant, think first. thanks.

20. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

If I hear one more reporter or arm chair quarterback refer to racing as getting an adrenalin fix or that we are thrill seekers I'm going to scream.

I don't know about other riders, but I generally feel calm and relaxed when racing. I get more amped up and adrenaline rush playing hockey than I do racing. The only time I can feel the adrenaline when racing is if I have a good sized front end tuck or get kicked out of the seat. I don't know about other guys (and girls) but my objective when racing is to beat the other guys and turn faster lap times, not get my heart rate going by getting flung over the bars.