1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to TV

Discussion in 'General' started by Flex Axlerod, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

What is the most simple way to watch stuff from my PC (moto gp practice) on my TV? Too much info out the there to figure out which route to go.

2. tjc

tjc New Member

If you have HD TV with a VGA or HDMI input and a graphics card with a second VGA for an HDMI output that is definitely the easiest way to go.

3. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

HDMI PCI card. Obviously, your tele will have HDMI.

I always buy mine with HDMI, DVI, and analog for now. (See Newegg.com - their reviews are pretty true)

Motogp.com looks great on my "old" 46" flat screen tele.

I was going to post pics a few days ago -if a few peeps would like to see it.

4. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

My laptop has an S-Video Jack on it so i just used the S-Video cable for video and then used an 1/8" Stereo Jack to RCA for audio.

5. TStinson

TStinson Well-Known Member

If you are talking about streaming to another room over your network, a XBOX360 works great for that. I can download races on my computer in my office then access them from the XBOX in my bedroom.

6. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Depending on your video card its probably worth just upgrading that. Unless you are a serious gamer and already have a good video card. AVS forum is a great source. They have a home theater PC area with a great recommendation thread. Here is a link to the low end ATX system. I use it to reference what the better video cards are bang for buck wise.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18816492&postcount=14144

AMD may not be as good for the gaming, but they seem to be much better for HDMI video playback with HD Sound. Here is a link to Newegg and where I would start. Just make sure it fits in your PC and has an HDMI output if your TV has an input.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

7. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

what about wirelessly w/out an XBOX and still have good quality?

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I use NVIDIA cards in all my rigs. Excellent quality and will work with any input you choose from composite to hdmi, dvi whatever.

If you want to build a Media Server it requires more research than you're likely to get in a thread. Its great to have though with all your media in one place.

9. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

10. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Forgot the cable issue. Dont fall for the snake oil. Good cables dont cost $100. Try monoprice.com for cables.

11. stan.riner

stan.riner Well-Known Member

I wanted to do the same thing. A lot of video cards have both VGA and DVI. If yours does, just get a DVI to HDMI cable.
    [​IMG]

My problem is my computer isn't very close to the TV so I finally settled on running an HDMI cable under the house (pier and beam style).

I bought these from Newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270221&cm_re=wall_plate-_-12-270-221-_-Product

Just search for "wall plates" and you can find different ones.
    You can get them at Home depot but they're more costly. I ordered all the cables at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now with the onboard video card, I have three monitors. The TV is the left most monitor out of the three. I can drag stuff over to show my wife and she doesn't have to leave the kitchen!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  12. 178SV

178SV now retired...

First answer these questions:

1. What kind of graphics card do you have in your PC?
    2. What inputs do you have on your TV?
    3. Are you willing to buy a new TV, a new laptop, or an Xbox360?

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If the machine is close to the TV then cabling is the simplest solution. DVI to HDMI works well. Most of the higher end Nvidia cards will also come with a dongle that gives you Component outs if your TV lacks HDMI/DVI/VGA or ytou have something else occupying that port.

Here's my current solution. I have a small form factor Windows 7 machine running Media center. 500GB's of storage for recording. I have a DirecTV HD23-600 connected via Component to a Hauppauge HDPVR that is fed to the PC via USB 2.0 using DVBLink for HDPVR. Connection to the Samsung 46" DLP is DVI from the PC. I use a PatersonTech TV translator that tunes the HD23 via it's USB port that is called from a hook in the DVBlink software.

Add to that the DVBLink Network pack and I can feed any PC in the house via that single HDPVR for viewing live TV...with full Guide and channel change abilities.

Once the basement is finished I will be deploying 3 more HDPVR's for a total of 4 connected to a central server and feed them all from DirectTV HD23-600's. This will allow me to feed the 1 TV in the Living Room, the 1 that will be over the Bar downstairs, the 3 that will be in the gym and the TV's in both the Master and guest bedrooms. This will also be usable from every PC in the house. Add to that the clever usage of Windows 7's libraries and you can watch anything that was recorded on any machine from any other machine in the house.

Complicated and not for those afraid of figuring out all the moving pieces but it is doable.

proof of concept...http://diablo.homedns.org/video-2010-06-25-16-31-28.3gp

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  14. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

buy a cheap-o dvd player that plays DIVX. burn 4.7G of video/DVD using DIVX player, and put it in your dvd player to watch on TV, been doing this for years, works great.

15. Venom51

That works as well but it's not as nice as having a Hi-Def MotoGP video subscription and watching the Eurosport feeds with no commercials. You get practice and qualifying as well. Something you don't get on Speed via Dish/DirecTV or Cable.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If you have a PS3 or an xbox 360 it's pretty easy. Copy the video file onto a thumb drive, plug it into either of them and play the video. I've found that PS3 seems to support more video formats.

Of both are connected to your home network you can stream video from your PC to either device, I just find there's less lagging when scanning through a video if its sitting on a local driver connected directly. I have a 300 gig USB drive full of movies connected to my PS3 that it plays off of.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I refused to type it. Don't go wavin your dongle around.:Puke:

:p

18. Venom51

I waggle...I don't wave.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

One of my pals came over to watch MotoGP and I had it on the bigscreen with the North West 200 muted on the second panel. He went into overload it was funny. Love it man I always have footage streaming on a panel.

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I am looking at getting a WD Live TV Plus. It supports a ton of formats and can connect to intertubes. It is also only about $120.