1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passport (Card or Book) - Expedited service? Less than a week.

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Dec 4, 2017.

1. I just got back to SoCal late last week and I've been doing my wifes graduation stuff all weekend including this evening. I'm getting my stuff together to start work this coming up Monday (1 week, 12/11) and I need to submit the documents for an I-9. I realized that years ago when my storage unit was broken into they stole my birth certificate and social security card (large box of documents) or at least I assume that's where they went because they're definitely no where in my house. I was born in NY and getting an NY birth certificate is a HUGE nightmare if it's not in person (after the new year is what I'm being told), SS card takes at least 2-3 weeks.

But I do have an expired passport (2 years) that's still eligible to be renewed. I made an appointment on Wednesday @ 7am at the Passport Agency in LA but I'm concerned I won't be able to get it renewed on the spot because I don't have any travel plans. The guy on the phone said they do make exceptions sometimes but I wasn't sold.

Are these expedited services all bullshit? or will $549 (one place quoted me online) actually get me a passport within 24-48 hours? Or is going in person the best way?

2. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

I used rushmypassport.com a while back for my original passport. I used the standard 10-12 day and I think I had it in 5. I'd use them again if I was in a bind.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They don't give a shit if you're traveling or not. Really, I'd just go through the normal passport process and skip the paid services.

But that doesn't do you much good for the I-9.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Book a fully cancel-able airplane ticket to out of the country. Get your itinerary documents and then show up at the passport office first thing in the morning with your appointment. I did this with Tyler and we had a passport that afternoon. I didn't pay a 549 fee but I did pay some type of expedite fee as I recall.

Then cancel the airplane ticket. In my case they made us show the itinerary.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh yeah, Alex, you're obviously a pretty smart guy. Probably went to a prominent university and could impress us by posting your report card. Nice, cool, neato.

But gawd damn, you're a dumbass! Someone may have stolen your BC and SS card and you're just finding out now. I won't even mention you left that shit in a storage unit. D-U-M-B-A-S-S! :D

6. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

There's this place in Poway called Postal King.

Call them and see what they say. 858-486-1885. They had a few levels of expedite

7. Yeah, it is NOT my finest moment. I am not proud right now. It was also my early 20's and didn't give second thought to it. But these days I wouldn't even consider that being an option.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Here's a shot in the dark.

Go to your current or previous employer and ask your HR person for a color copy your Passport (if that's what you use.) If they use E-Verify and your passport is active, the information will match. Now this is not saying they will accept it, but it is possible. The other problem is E-Verify only gives you 3 days to verify the employees documentation.

The Social Security Office will provide you with a letter indicating you have applied for a replacement card. Your State Issued ID as well as the SSC will work. Not saying they will accept a copy (as they aren't supposed to) but I have seen some do it.

9. joec

joec brace yourself

I did the expedited in DC at the state department. In August. They even took overnight. I think if you have one a renewal is possible same day. But it seemed like it wasn't from taking to other people in line there. I had to have travel proof. I was driving to Canada, no flight itinerary, and camping, so no hotel. They told me to reserve a hotel as proof. Or get an email from the people I was starting with and bring a printed copy. So of those places of course provide a paid service to do any of these things. Lol. Had it in hand the next morning.

Mine was stolen out of my mailbox after having it expedited. It was supposed to be signature. But apparently the postal service decides of they're going to do that. Which they didn't. So..... Consider that too. I got it the day before I left.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I believe to get expedited passport service (like overnight or a couple of days) you need to have international airline travel itinerary booked. So you might want to do what Rob said up there. Book a cheap ticket somewhere for the weekend or something that is refundable so you can print out your itinerary and bring it to them.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its been several years, but I needed a 2nd passport pronto. I went to the processing facility in San Diego and had one either late that same day or the next morning. It cost a couple hundred bucks.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

By law, any ticket you book is refundable if canceled by midnight on the following night.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  13. I’ve gotten a new Passport in the same day, twice. The longest it took was 4hrs.

But I did have an international flight schedule for the next day, so that might make a difference.

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Go to you local office, explain the situation, pay extra money, you should have it in 4 hours, smile, play dumb, if you have a hot wife or girlfriend throw her in first. Things have changed, an american expidited passport can be done in 2-4 hours

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

You do have to prove you are leaving the country..I also know people who have shown up at the border and picked up passports.

16. Captain Morgan

Not true, depends on where you are from and where u are going. if you are traveling with less than 6 months when your passport expires, they can and will deney you depending. Don't trust the been on any legal or immigration advice.

Certain countries if you have less than 2 open pages left on your passpport will deney you depending on your nationality,/visa status

17. Captain Morgan

The main point I was saying, don't trust the beeb yaahoos like me to give you serious legal advice, laywers are rich and like motorcycles

18. :stupid:

Many countries require 6 months validity.

Also, sometimes the duration of the Visa they will give you can depend on how many open pages you have in your Passport.

Offtopic, but if you travel a lot and often have to submit your Passport for Visas, it’s a good idea to have a spare. I have a 2nd Passport so I can always get back home if my shit is stuck in Immigration somewhere.

19. Captain Morgan

I'm not a broome baller. Just a photocopy. I do a lot of stupid shit and stayed in crazy places. How can u keep 2 active us passports ?

20. Not sure what you mean. It’s easy. I’ve got one good for 10 years, and a spare that is good for 2 years.

Canadian Bacon likes this.