1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating Ktech shock RSV4

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kris, Nov 18, 2015.

1. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Has anyone experienced this, on any shock on the RSV4?

Yesterday was the first time I have using a DDS Ktech unit - basically what happens is the rear looses all rebound control - completely. A bounce in the garage before a session, firm but after 3 laps in very hot weather the rebound has speed up 3x as much. Shock body is around 90degrees celcius! Oil is cooked - the result is absolutely NO high speed edge grip. To the point I was thrown out of the seat on a 170km/hr left hander.

On cooler days, the shock body is still too hot to touch.

Ive ordered some heat shield and thermal wrap for the rear headers. KTech believe its to do with the linkage in the 15 model RSV4, the rising rate is so fast it overwhelms the rebound circuit - solution is a VERY stiff spring to relieve the circuit.

To test the theory, I put the rebound where I normally have it (it still overheats, but not as much here) and cranked up the preload ALOT - dropped 1.5seconds as I suddenly had edge grip. The bike was as you'd expect incredibly rough as the spring was over-preloaded.

Anyone experienced this???

Track temps 64degrees celcius, air temp 40degrees. Still managed to be only 0.7 off my PB with tyres past the wear marker and the bike sitting at 101 degrees!

2. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Do you think is only with the kTech or all the shocks?

3. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

No such issue with my 2010 and Penske shock.

4. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Id say its with ALL shocks on the 2015 RSV4 which has a different linkage to the previous model. I dont think its shock specific.

Its also pace and ambient temp related - super hot days, high track temps, stiff slicks etc

5. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Linear link ( forsake) will improve the "cooling" or maybe needs heat dispersion from the reservoir of the shock ( finns)?

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I don't have any data specific to that model, but we've fixed this issue in the past with larger remote reservoirs on shocks instead of piggybacks. The combination of additional fluid volume and mounting the res in a location where it had an opportunity to radiate heat helped greatly.

7. kris

kris Well-Known Member

Thanks metricdevilmoto. This may be something we need to look at.

Not up for changing the link - Aprilia use this link in WSS - if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. Just need to work out why its occuring. Never seen shock fins on ANY shock.

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You also might want to talk to your tuner regarding the nitrogen charge as well.

9. kris

kris Well-Known Member

I shall, too low on pressure perhaps?