1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over Suit AirBag Vests

Discussion in 'General' started by hippiedreads, Dec 19, 2019.

1. hippiedreads

hippiedreads Active Member

After having taken multiple spills in the last two years I think it is time to invest in some extra safety gear but I'm not sure where to begin as there as so many options. What kind of air vests are you guys using and for those of you who have actually used them, what are your thoughts on the one you own?

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I have the Helite GP Air. I’ve had it deploy just once in a minor lowside. It did it’s job and kept my head/neck stabilized. No damage to me.

I will warn you that with a chest protector, it’s a lot of shit to have on. I seriously thought I was going to faint at Blackhawk when it was 95 degrees and I was sitting in the pits. I ended up not running it for most of this year. Next year, I’m going to try it without wearing a chest protector and see how that feels.

It doesn’t interfere with me hanging off the bike, but it does interfere with me looking directly down in front of me as the vest is big enough to hit the chin portion of the helmet.

I still think it’s a better solution vs. D-Air or TechAir for the club racer or track day dude on a budget. My buddy sent his D-Air suit back and it cost him $400 for a recharge and repair. I think TechAir is noticeably cheaper.

If you’ve got cash to spare, TechAir is probably the way to go, so long as you’re not an XL in their vest. If you are, you only get one deployment.

3. hippiedreads

hippiedreads Active Member

Good input, definitely not on a super tight budget but I'm also not trying to make a career out of racing so I like to keep things within a reasonable budget. Thanks for your input.

4. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I have the HIT Air. Although mine hasn’t deployed my buddies has and it was a simple repack/replace cart and he was good to go. This time of year is when I got mine $399 from Justin @ Trackside Parts Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have a HIT Air. I haven't deployed mine yet, but I have seen others have one deploy in crashes and say good things about them. Also saw a guy do a tip over in the pits. He then pulled away from the bike to stand up and POOF off it went. :oops: They are fairly easy to repack and install the new cartridge. It does interfere a bit in getting fully tucked when also wearing my Forcefield chest protector. That is more of an issue on my SV650 than on my R1 so some of that will be bike dependant. It is also more of an issue when I am carrying a few extra pounds, so it will be rider dependant as well.

If you are getting a new suit or close to getting a new suit or just have a lot of money, getting the TechAir is the way to go. I think the HIT Air is a good compromise in protecting vs. cost but when it is time for me to get a new suit, I will be in an RS TaiChi or other high end suit with the TechAir. I am not a fan of the A*s suits, but I am glad they have opened up to the market to let others build compatible suits. I don't ride a lot on the street, but having a TechAir jacket and moving the system over for the times I do would be nice as well and I don't think you can do that with the DAir.

hippiedreads likes this.
  6. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

I have the Hit-Air RS1. Unfortunately I’ve deployed it 5 times in 4 sessions! Two “high speed” offs, and three lowsides. In the first high speed it saved me from broken neck, collarbones and ribs for sure. Unlike the inside the suit bags it has a large neck collar that inflates to stabilize your head and neck.

Obviously the Tech Air type smart suits are still the way to go as they function independently. As an example, during my lowsides the the Hit-air has deployed after I’ve hit my shoulder, back or head on the track. And the bag wouldn’t have deployed at all if I had slid next to or with the bike the whole time.

The only advantage of the hit-air is it’s price and it can be repacked and reused that same day as long as I’ve got another 60cc canister for it. I’m hoping the Ixon air vest system will come to the U.S. It seems more versatile and it can be repacked by the user.
    https://www.ixon.com/en/innovations/ixon-airbag/

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

@IronCactus is a badass!!! :) That is some innate talent :)

8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I read a lot of guys saying how some airbags ‘stabilize’ the neck by inflating around it. From speaking to the Alpinestars guys they said when developing tech air they learned pretty quick that was a really bad thing to do. If you lawn dart into something your neck is supposed to be able to bend and absorb the impact. By making a column around the neck it keeps your head straight which drives all the energy right into your neck/spine which has very little ability to absorb the impact. I’d have to assume Dainese also leaned that as they moved away from doing that as well.

9. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I also have the Helite GP Air. It has gone off once when someone lowsided underneath me and cleaned me out in a slow corner. It was slow enough there wasn't much of a tumble or anything and probably didn't make much of a difference. But it made me feel secure. And it definitely holds your neck and head and chest stable. No repack, no rework - deflate and stuff a new cartridge in and go. $30 for a cartridge and I keep a few spares with me. I actually was in an endurance race when that happened and was able to have the vest on for my next stint no issues.

It is hot, simply cannot get around the fact that its another layer of leather and padding. I don't wear the chest protector with it on, but do where my forcefield back protector. It doesn't limit movement much at all but it is more cumbersome than without it on. One of the biggest issues I have run in to is the interference between the vest and the tank and the damage it does to both. The lanyard attachment and buckle scratched the every living heck out of the tank. I mean looks like someone when at it with an ice pick.

My body position is such that I tend to ride pretty close to the tank and when leaning off the inside on left corners, the vest and buckle rub the tank - badly. And its going to eventually wear a hole through the leather as well over the canister location from the rubbing. I don't actually notice it at all while on the bike. But I came in and looked at the tank and was definitely like WTH is that.

Senna likes this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yea, the canister wear is definitely noticeable. You can see the wear outline on my vest from it.

11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Hit-air, Helite. Get either. The hit-air saved my life.

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It does stabilize the neck, but of course being an air bag there is some slight give. I'm more worried about being collected from behind by another rider and the whiplash from that breaking my neck.

beechkingd likes this.
  13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

You'll see that In&Motion vest being sold through a number of different manufacturers.
    Klim
    Held
    RST

It looks like they're partnering with just about everyone who isn't A* and Dainese. lol

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Destroyed a hit air but had no upper body injuries. I replaced that one with two more. I don’t ride without one now. I cannot say it stopped any injury but I can’t say it didn’t either. Regardless I look at it as cheap insurance, kind of like a mouth guard.

15. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Please tell us the source of that info, or indicate where it is in the Dainese documentation.

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Why does Dainese ignore side rib protection in all their products? Seems very simple to extend it around the torso, yet none of their bags have any coverage there.

19. DutchWorksMoto

DutchWorksMoto Well-Known Member

Had the Helite GP deploy during an 80mph collision situation. I won't ride without it again. It deployed mid-air, I landed on the shoulder and tumbled hitting my head several times. When I got up after landing up a hill I realized the only way my neck didn't go sideways during those head impacts was because of how high the shoulders inflate around your helmet. I was riding the next day and just sore as hell, I attribute that to the vest.

The other vests aren't built as well from experience. Mine held up well for two seasons of wear and that crash due to the leather materials and construction. Others with hit-airs pop or are non-functioning after small lowsides.

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It's in their FAQ for the Smart Jacket. They also confirmed it with me on Instagram.

It's either marketing BS and will work fine, but they don't wanna lose that sweet D-Air Race cash, or the algorithm is actually different and the thing isn't gonna like track lean angles and go off.

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/smart-jacket-faq.html