1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions wanted: for home workshop / garage: two or four post lift?

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Aug 16, 2021.

?

which lift for a little maintenance / repair and mostly storage.

1. 2-post

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. 4-post

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Phl218

Phl218 .

baconologist likes this.
  2. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I use a 2 post. Dropping a transmission or engine cradle for a front wheel drive would be much more difficult with a 4 post. Even my C5 Corvette requires dropping the front crossmember to change the oil pan gasket. Wouldn't be fun on a 4 post. (Won't be fun on a 2 post, either. :()

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I voted 2 post, so I guess the first job will be fixing the leaks on the Beirut taxi.,

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

no, that one will later get to sit under the 944S2, which still needs the clutch replaced and currently has the transaxle out and in parts (since 2 years)

hence the lift as incentive to myself

baconologist likes this.
  5. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

Unless you get an alignment setup, 2 post is what you want. The fewest obstacles you have the better when, well, doing anything. Ones with asymmetric are more convenient as well.

6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

2 post all day, every day. 4 post suck for anything but oil changes. Imagine doing a brake job on a 4 post, where you are having problems getting the rotor off the hub, and having to swing a hammer at it. Then put the ramps in the way.

7. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Phl218 likes this.
  8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What is your ceiling height?

9. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

That's what I want to know. I have a 4 post with jacks, but its 90% storage 10% maintenance. That 10% being fluids/brakes. I wouldn't want to drop a drive train with a 4 post. Every 2 post I have seen requires a lot more ceiling height though. And I don't have the height.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I have a two post. Can’t drop engine/tranny/front subframe with suspension with a 4 post.

Can’t use the 4 post as an engine hoist or hoist in general. I’ve use one arm to lift stuff out of my pickup bed a few times.
    I just wished I got asymmetrical arms. Abs low profile arms.

But the thing was $1500 installed 6 years ago. Used hoist from a dealership.
    IMO best $$ I’ve spent on tools. It’s paid itself back by letting me want to fix things on other peoples cars for $$. Like fuck im doing a clutch job without it.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you guys want lifts I put up a 2 post that Marc, @TLR67 can get. It went up pretty easy and we have no issues with it.
    Costs are up but it was still cheaper with him than I could find on the net.

TLR67 and Phl218 like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

wrote him already

ceiling height is higher than i can measure. my barn is a regular structure with only a 8' ceiling height, but i could take out a portion of the unused attic to get another 5'. yeah i know roof weight and all that but i've already got trusses in mind to support the portion taken out.

13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I hate 4 post lifts, don't see the point unless you need the vehicles suspension compressed.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

i put a 12' high with the cross bar on top at my uncles. For my barn i can only do 10' high and will do the cross bar on the floor. so 10' is easier height wise.

good luck

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Split the difference. Get a 3-post hoist. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Well, technically the highest tipping resistance

pickled egg likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Physics schmisics. :D

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Geometry

pickled egg likes this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Can you explain it to me, in plane English? ;)