1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions wanted: for home workshop / garage: two or four post lift?

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Aug 16, 2021.

?

which lift for a little maintenance / repair and mostly storage.

1. 2-post

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. 4-post

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

You’ve already defined the plane in question

pickled egg likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It will still take off from a treadmill.

Spang308 and Phl218 like this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dan glad you like it…Phil just sent you a quote… thanks for the patience…

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Got at least 4.5” of concrete.

upload_2021-8-19_21-1-21.jpeg

the smallest tuxedo lift is probably still overkill for me and I want to see that I don’t overwhelm the 18x30 shop

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I know everyone says 2 post and for solely "working" on cars yep...agree. But 4 posts can be put on rollers and rolled around the shop...over here...over there no worries. SO for storage with some working and the movability they have some advantages over 2 post. In case that matters.

6. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I’ve been on and off researching this exact topic for a bit. I had read a few times that storing vehicles on two posts long term was bad for the suspension. Enough that one of the companies made a wheel holder kit for two posts. Not sure if that’s a bunch of shit, but it was out there. I’m pretty sure I’m going to go the four post route specifically for the mobility aspect of them.

7. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

The lift manufacture has the loading data for the life. 4 posts works for the thin pads with lower loading per post.
    How many garages purpose built use a 4 post, it's always a 2 post.
    Never used a 2 or 4 post to pull an engine.

8. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I've used my 2 post to lift items occasionally. It's also great for giving young grandchildren rides. :)

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

the way i can place it i can lift one car and still have 2 under it (if it has to be)

the only place i'd move a 4-post is a couple ft forward or backward