Oil Drain Plug Repair Kits?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cyclenut, Dec 30, 2009.

1. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

I'm looking for opinions on the various oil drain plug repair kits. I've read some positives about the Time Sert kit. Has anyone used this kit or is there another good option? This is going on an ATV.

thx

2. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Helicoil?

3. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

I've used oversized self cutting automotive drain plugs on 3 bikes with great success. Be sure to flush the pan of cuttings after the initial install. Screw in, remove dump a half qt. or so oil through the fill hole and let it run out the drain carrying the loose cuttings with it. Reinstall the oversize plug with copper crush washer.

4. frekeyguy

frekeyguy Well-Known Member

heli coils aren't meant for constant maintenance, the oil drain plug will be in/out of the bike several times in its lifetime.

I would personally see how much material is available and drill/tap to the next size fastener.

If you are going to use a heli coil, i'd suggest dropping the pan, making sure the mating surface for the coil is dry, and use tons of red loctite and wait for a day or so to let it dry.

5. deanozx10r

deanozx10r Crashin Sucks!!

Drill and retap is the best and easy to do. Done service free for years.

6. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I'll see how much material is left and if an oversize is possible.