1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil and change intervals

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tazrider, Mar 23, 2010.

1. tazrider

tazrider Greenwood Racing Wera 71

What oil are you using and how often are you changing it? How often do you change your filter? I've heard people that change their oil after every 2 race weekends and dont change the filter for a month or so....(taking the theory from an automobile). I normally change oil and filter every Monday after a race weekend. I'm just trying to see if it's overkill.........

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

on a racebike i would change oil and filter (both) after every couple weekends. i use Motul 300V

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I use Rotella (blue bottle-$19/gallon!) and change both the filter and oil after every race weekend.

4. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Amsoil oil and filter, change it after the race season is over, aprox 7-9 races. If I do more, I'll change it twice.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

personally i would think changing the filter every oil change (especially if your chaning oil every race weekend ) is a bit overkill. Lots of oil stays in the motor when you drain it.. (r6 takes nearly 4 qts when new/rebuild and change is like 2.2) , even the manual recomends every other oil change but do what makes you comfortable..

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I change my Oil after every 2 full Track weekends... Filter every third...

7. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

on 03+ body style there is another drain plug located under the stator cover and another one on the other side of the motor, in the form of a 8mm allen i believe.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  8. maxpat82

maxpat82 Well-Known Member

Motul 5100 10w40 every ~ 3-4 weekend.
    Stock GSXR600 05 with exhaust and air filter.

having a modded engine: I would change every 1-2 weekend

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that is a spot to check oil pressure, but that still won't get it all out..

10. 418

418 Expert #59

I'll do mine every couple of weekends. Full weekends, Fri./Sat./Sun.

11. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Try some different change intervals and send your oil off for analysis to blackstonelabs.com They will tell you if you can go longer or not on the interval.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Shit...first this tire pressure thing comes up. Now I gotta change the damn oil as well.

13. willamtarker

willamtarker New Member

Answering to your question I would like to answer your question and say that I prefer using Castrol GTX 3 for my vehicle and it is working really great.But yes to increase its performance I prefer cleaning the filter at regular interval of time that is for monthly basis.

14. tazrider

tazrider Greenwood Racing Wera 71

I wanna let you guys know how valued this info is. In this cost-cutting economy, I'm trying to validate if it's financially feasible to continue to change my oil/filter after every race weekend or if I should stretch the intervals and use that money towards more seat time/races. I don't wanna go the cheap way out and risk engine/clutch issues. I want to optimize my spending.

Keep the updates coming. I'm gathering this data for analysis...I know, I know, I should be analyzing other things but ..............