1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins Fork Cap extendars worth it?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by scoob4fun, Nov 29, 2010.

1. scoob4fun

scoob4fun Well-Known Member

Ive got two suspension shops in my area that are very reputable. They however have different opinions on setup. One says you NEED to add the caps the other is wanting to go the complete opposite direction for setup.

Im undecided so I wanted to ask for some opinions on real world use and if the caps made a difference on your setup.

These will be for an 09 GSXR 750. Ohlins 25Carts and Ohlins TTX are already installed.

2. Chip

Chip Registered

Make chassis changes to solve specific problems....

What is your problem? Will longer forks solve your problem? If not....then no, they are not worth it.

3. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I was in the same boat and my solution was to drop both tuners and go with Thermosman as he is the man and takes the guess work out of it.

Thermosman has my 08 750 setup with fork extenders.

4. scoob4fun

I am no suspension expert so I couldnt really tell you. Right now I have about 2mm of fork showing in the triple with 8mm of shim added on top of my TTX in the rear.

Its pretty good but I still end up running a little wide mid corner and exit as I roll the throttle on. Corner entry is pretty good and side to side flickibility is better since I have jacked the rear up but I feel it could be better. Does that help a little as to what I am experiencing?

5. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

All corners or just bumpy corners? That could be caused by a handful of different things, with a handful of different ways to fix it.

6. scoob4fun

All corners, my tracks are pretty smooth.

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

On a 2006 my friend added 6mm rear shim and lengthened the shock a little bit more (not sure the eye-to-eye measurement) and has his forks flush with the triples and said the running wide is gone. It seems GSXR's like a lot of ride height to finish turns.

8. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

:stupid:

You can't go wrong with Mike!

9. Chip

Chip Registered

Without knowing the entire picture I wouldn't begin to be able to give you any kind of useful advice....

Pick one tuner and go with his advice until he gives you reason to go to somebody else. Trying to get set up info from everybody in the paddock (or on the WERA) board will ultimately get you confused and chasing rabbits down long dark holes.

Here are a few absolutes in suspension set up -

1.) There are more than one way to skin a cat.

2.) Everything is a compromise.

3.) There is no "right" answer. The "right" answer is a faster lap time, until that lap time is not fast enough, then you go looking for another "right" answer.

10. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Chip, that should be a sticky. Well put.

11. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Chip your 100% right

I was doing all the right things and getting slower (or friends getting faster), did all the oposite (wrong) and the bike was getting faster around the corners....and fast friends became slow friends...