1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official YouTube Video Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, May 13, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Update from a friend who was there:

"Being a California Kid and an Angeleno!! I remember Ralph well - and his dog, Storm. Ralph actually was the lead salesman originally for Leon Ames Ford. He then screwed Leon Ames out of one of his Ford dealerships in LA. I want to say it was located in Van Nuys. Leon Ames was a minor actor.

Actually, the pet gig was an invention of Cal Worthington of Cal Worthington Dodge, but Ralph had incorporated the dog routine for his dealership, calling his dog Storm. After drinking a bunch of "Brew 102”, a local LA beer made with water from the Los Angeles River, my brother and I called in one night in the mid sixties while watching “Johnny” asking for Ralph. We got him on the phone. We asked if he had any pink T’birds, which he had two '...... reconditioned with new plugs, new points, white side-walls, full factory air....’

Being an all night movie freak, when at Berkeley, my friend Capt. Mikie and I would watch Gil Hile and the "Gil Hile All Night Movies”. Gil Hile had a mascot, Tige. He used to start his programs, intermissions and ads on top of a ladder, 50-60’s beat style. I think he was a Dodge dealer, too... And Doris Day had a Chevy dealership on Van Ness Ave in SFO.

It was a California thing....."

So I asked him, "After encountering a wave of skepticism on The Beeb, I need to ask you this. Was that commercial genuine or was it a goof on the camera crew that never aired?"

".. a goof... take it from a Ralph Williams aficionado. He may have bought into a dealership in the Bay Area later on.... but this is a pretty good send-up. I kid you not, we did get Ralph that night...
    .... but the best was Gil Hile and his all night movie program.."

It's still a funny video!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

That it is. :up:

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

5. lance

lance Well-Known Member

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

8. lance

lance Well-Known Member

We r tringto get it to 100000 hits

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

12. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

that kid is a wrestling JEDI!

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I couldn't tell you, I don't speak the language. I'm just guessing that if they were harmless, the story wouldn't make the news.

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When I read the description, I first thought it was from Michigan.

Then I watched the video and decided, uh, no.

17. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I watched as a friend who tried to learn how to ride another friend's KX250 did the same sort of thing. Only he was about 50-75 feet behind and to the right of a piece of farm equipment. He started feathering the clutch just fine, then all of the sudden, WFO! He wheelied to the left then to the right in one of those "powering out of the corner" wheelies. I covered my eyes for a second until it was over and he had pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop. We then walked up to inspect the rut he left from the rear tire, it was two feet under the four foot overhang of the farm equipment!! I still don't know how he didn't hit it, and to this day I'll no longer take part in teaching anyone to ride on anything but a scooter or 4 stroke 110 sized bike.

18. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

19. 418

418 Expert #59