1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOOOOO tell me it isn't so

Discussion in 'General' started by rapidzrx, Mar 10, 2023.

1. People bitch about the people bitching and the people bitching at the people bitching at the people, some people just need to have something to say.

2. With Scott I’m betting he had a max of 4 states :) Get him talking about cars or something else he’s passionate about in person and you better be paying close attention for some lost in translation.

27 likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I mean, as a general standard I have scorn and disdain about things from the South, but still, I can look past it when the product is solid haha. I've stuck around here pretty long, that says something. :D

Same. It sure goes a long way when they actually know what the fuck they're talking about on a highly technical/strategic level. I love it. There's been some downhill mountain bike dudes who tried to retire to announcing that are just SO FUCKING bland and boring on camera, that it hurts... but most of the time they make the best announcers, or sometimes it just takes them a season or 2 to get out of their shell.

Complete opposite, Red Bull for a time had that dude that looked like Guy Fieri announcing Rampage and listening to him made me wanna kill myself. It was so fucking cringy I just wanted to mute him the entire time.

LOL. If I'm a mid-Atlantic city boy and I can, then anyone should be able to. He's good to go haha. :beer:

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I thought Scott did a good job and he did improve his diction and tone down the accent somewhat as he went along. He was interesting to listen to.

5. Had a bit of credibility too :)

Sabre699, tl1098 and 27 like this.
  6. Yamaboy

Yamaboy Active Member

Complaining about announcers [insert favorite sport here] is shooting fish in a barrel. It's been done on internet forums for years, and it's essentially an opinion and a personal preference. Do yourself and your sport a favor, and support those who support your sport.

This is not a defense of Greg and I don't know him personally. In terms of credentials, he's raced WERA and has a true passion for motorcycle racing. He knows more than most of us and does his homework because it's part of his job. And by all accounts, he is very competent at his job. Maybe you don't like his delivery or style, but that's no reason to shit on him.

One of the draws of racing, specifically in motorcycle racing, is the comradery. Everyone knows the risks of racing, and it's a shared thread among competitors. Dumping on people within racing circles is counterproductive. Instead of being destructive, ask how you can put more butts in seats at events and grow levels of participation.

As a counterpoint, one could argue that a professional announcer by trade would get more people to watch the broadcast. Based on the fact that the MA broadcast has bounced around from network to network almost yearly, an announcer doesn't have a significant impact.

We're all entitled to an opinion, and it's not my goal to change anyones. Overall my point is that racing is a very niche market. Treat it with care and find ways to improve it, or one day it will be gone, and we'll be worse for it.

Side notes, Roger had steadily improved his mic skills over the years. I enjoy his insight and color commentary. My personal favorites were always Toby Moody and Julian Ryder. Their enthusiasm came through in the broadcast and kept me glued to the television set.

evakat and R1Racer99 like this.
  7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Not hating, but its comical when he tries to get all those words in, in 1 second, in the middle of a corner when a pass is taking place or a battle for position in general.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  8. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Stupid question but after ten minutes of googling, I can’t find anything about MA on tv this year. Is it on Mavtv? FS1? Not on tv at all?

Second stupid question, is there any other sport on the planet that you have to pay for an online subscription to watch? If not, our sport is doing something wrong.

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Nah

If you can`t understand him, you probably aren`t watching anyway. :D