1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No transmission dipstick

Discussion in 'General' started by 6_Myles, Jan 17, 2015.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Lifetime is defined as "One Week, or 1000 Miles After Warranty Expires", right? ;)

2. Lifetime is defined as the first owner will sell at the 3 year or 60k mark. The second owner will call the company customer service line and scream for goodwill assistance then sell. You might get assistance depending on whatever spin or dollars the company is funding on customer loyalty for the week, NTSB. JD Powers, warranty history, who you are and the influential and exposure weight you carry are all factors. It's an available money and political game. The failure rates are known and calculated before the software is tweeked final at the durability testing level before release for retail. So glad to be out of that business.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Speaking of transmissions, what's the general take on CVT transmissions? My limited experience is that they are garbage but this is on cars that are 6 years old. Have they improved the breed?

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

My cayenne has a "sealed" aisin tranny. Refill from below with the engine running .
    Factory oil change is 169k miles, way too late. Also, Porsche charges $75(!!!!!!) per quart, while you get the equivalent oil at Toyota (type 4) for $6 per. Bottle even has the same shape, just different sticker.
    Good to know when you need 11 quarts ;)

Lookup a Routan forum, the knowledge is out there.

5. Run away and throw rocks at the German brands. I understand the Asian brands are good but have no real time experience with them. I didn't like the gas and go golf cart feel of the early ones but the select shift versions are at least interesting. The Udies have the capability to park the chain for up to eight ratios

6. 100% correct.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think initially they were thought to be the next great advance in auto tech but nobody liked the motorboat feel they had. Nissan has had some success by programming defined "shift" points in them but that goes against all of their strengths. Now that the trend is high count gear standard autos, I figure the cvt will go back to lawn tractor use only soon.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Had my girlfriend trade her jeep patriot in with a CVT.

Fucker always sounded funny and after talking to my buddy that owns a trans shop he said sell it before it grenades. I guess a lot of them grenade he said.

Also, it had no dipstick.