newTV, anyone change there mind on 3d

Discussion in 'General' started by motogypsy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. motogypsy

motogypsy is not the enemy

I just finished reading the previous couple of threads on 3d tv's,
    and was wondering if anyone has changed there mind, or has any further input on it...

I am looking at a 50 inch, comes bundled with 2 pair of glasses,
    it is on sale for just $200 more than the 2d tv I was also looking at...
    I do understand that I will need to get a 3d blue ray player, but I need a blue ray player anyway, so one of those would be on the list either way...

as for glasses, there is just 2 of us, both adults, that would watch the TV on a regular basis...so no kids breaking the glasses, or need to buy extra sets of glasses for the children and there friends...

I have been told that the 2d picture on the the 3d tv is better than the similiar priced 2d tv....most of my tv watching will be movies on the blue ray...
    some PS3 gaming...and motorcyle racing...I am not a big TV guy, but I do want to get the most out of the time I spend watching....

any input?????

I plan on buying a tv within the next couple days....

2. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

I have a 3d tv and like it. Takes a little while to get use to having the glasses on. I wouldn't want to watch tv all day with them on but for a movie or something it's cool. Also if you have directv the ESPN 3d channel is awesome. And the fact that they shoot the X-Games in 3d makes it that much better.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No..it's still a stupid gimmick that forces your eyes and brain to do things they don't naturally do.

4. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

imo i would say no to 3d. Several reasons but the quick ones are:

You're still paying top dollar for new technology, which will be much cheaper in a year or 2, if 3d even sticks around in the long run. Unless you're absolutely in love with 3d movies, its not worth paying the extra money on the tv, 3d blu ray player and the 3d movies. I know big tv programs like espn are implementing 3d, but i've yet to see it, and can't comment on quality or added value to the viewing experience. I'm not sure which tv's you are looking into, but i'd much rather spend extra money on a quailty local-dimming or rgb led tv.

Its personal preference for me that i don't think 3d adds any value besides those first couple seconds of "oohh that was kind of cool, it popped out at me" After that, i feel watching in 3d and wearing glasses is almost more of a distraction. Until everyone (all movie makers and tv programs) buy into true 3d, and film in 3d and not convert to 3d, which has a huge difference in quality, then its not worth the money now.

5. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

IMO.. It's not the "it popped out at me" that's the cool thing. It's the depth it adds to whatever you are watching

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hey, it's what you like. You want to give 3d a whirl, it's only $200.

Me? Doesn't matter what my opinion of 3d tv is. :D

7. tito

tito Well-Known Member

if you have a ps3 you have a 3d blu-ray player.....
    what tv is it that you are looking at?

8. motogypsy

the PS3 will play 3d blue rays?????

the TV is....samsung 50" 3d Plasma...PN50C680

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

PN50C680
    4 HDMI inputs, 1080p, 600 Hz and it's energy star (so it's not a total power hog). :up:

I read 1 review of it so far and it's a positive one.

For $1100 (or less) it's not a bad choice.

10. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

can you rent 3d movies anywhere yet? blockbuster, netflix, redbox?

11. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Content is the issue with 3D. In my opinion, it is a FAD, and a passing fad. It does not work well on a small screen, and yes that means a 50". A front projection system is much better suited. Buy the TV for something other than 3D. If you get 3D, then so be it. Have fun!

12. motogypsy

I am a video idiot, all those number didnt mean anything to me until yesterday,...the HDMI inputs are good I know....1080p yes....
    sale price with the 2 sets of glasses is 1099.99
    plus I get $250 back for switching to Direct TV....

13. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

yeah, there was an update that came out around when 3d tv's started being sold that allowed it to play 3d blu rays as well. guess it's just a software thing that needed to be updated.

14. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

3D content is expanding rapidly, and there is currently a 3D tv channel.

I'm not a fan of the glasses, but I also understand that a commercially viable 3D tv is on the horizon that does not require glasses.....simply a screen filter of some sort. When that happens, forget it.....3D is going to explode.

Going to take a while tho.......

15. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

I think they had it at CES this past January actually