1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new truck purchase.. school me on diesels

Discussion in 'General' started by skidooboy, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ugh, remember the VW HPFP debacle? Makes me cringe everytime.

Changing your fuel filters more frequently if you dont do the addatives.

Now all this being said, when you get 20 gallons of diesel, you get 20 gallons of diesel rather than 18 gallons of gas and 2 gallons of corn syrup.

2. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

That's a fair point... :crackup:... I've been boycotting the kwik trips around me (that I went to basically every other day previously) because their "regular" gas is now 88 octane E15, matching other stations 87 E10 price wise, and selling their 87 E10 for 4-7 cents more a gallon. The advertise the 88 like it't their low end (because price wise it is) but then at the pump they have it in the midgrade spot. It bothers me even more because you know joe schmo doesn't notice the difference and either just fills up like normal and is ignorantly paying more for the same gas as across the street, or notices that the gas in the midgrade spot is actually cheaper and puts in E15 thinking he's getting better gas for cheaper...

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Had zero problems with my '03.

Until ULSD was mandated. Within 2 weeks I lost my first lift pump.

Popped an injector that took out the turbo at 286k. Used turbo, new injector, on the road until replacing the rest of the injectors at 313k.

Blew the turbo oil line and threw a rod at 337k.

Never used a fuel or oil additive. Wasn't particularly religious on changing filters. Or oil. ;)

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new truck ski-doo....get some pics up........or better yet, show it to me in person in a couple of weeks down south.

5. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

The federal standard for diesel purification as opposed to gasoline is atrocious which is why the 'small truck' motors compared to big rig motors use oil and fuel additives more often then not. The quality of the motors and fuel system for the most part are well made but the quality of fuel dispensed from Station to station is your greatest variant. Finding a high volume station which is refueled with fresh diesel more often is a good deterrent to avoid the junk fuel

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ugh.