1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Stealth Bomber Unveiling Tonight

Discussion in 'General' started by IrocRob, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You're giving the gooberment too much credit.......I'd be surprised if the Chinese don't already have a copy 80% complete....

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

[​IMG]
    Other people are excited as well……….

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I agree. But, it doesn’t take a lot of thinking as to why it was revealed.

4. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

"State of the art my ass!"

Ray
    Deal of the Century

stk0308 and SPL170db like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No humans on board?

6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

The possibilities of airborne combat are almost mindless and unlimited this time, the stuff of science fiction is not that far off drones /killer drones /Hunter seekers.. infrared heat signature nowhere to hide.
    Like the battleship died from obsolescence it makes you wonder if a traditional Air Force is completely a thing of the past. It looks that way and likely is.

I had a family friend in 1986 he was in a B-52 squadron he told me that they were as good as dead if I recall he said 75% of the B-52 that could be scrambled would be annihilated before they ever got fueled and off the tarmac..
    So that was almost 40 years ago so my guess that few if any defensive aircraft would survive to retaliate from a first strike.
    And with hypersonic missiles coming online, and China developing Mach 7 to 12 wind tunnels... It's essentially Future shock for many of us if we can even get our head around the known & unknown technology.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

"I'm gone give ya a little touch up."

SirCrashAlot and stk0308 like this.
  8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Neat jet, as usual. What’s overlooked by pretty much everyone - this airplane, and really, from the F-22 onwards, is that they’re sophisticated sensor platforms. The value of understanding what types of threats you face before sending conventional assets into the combat zone cannot be understated. With an adversary putting as much radiation into the sky looking for one of these coming over the horizon, one would be able to see what air defense capability exists and then, create a plan to minimize it.

From Northrop"Long-term operations and sustainment affordability has been a B-21 program priority from the start ..." If the low-observable coating(s) and moving part interfaces are better than the B-2's, that's a win as far as maintenance is concerned, that means more of these airplanes will be Code One, for longer than the B-2. I wonder if all 100 of these jets will require an air-conditioned hanger just like the B-2?

I wonder how much it hauls? Considering the B-2 can loft 40,000 lbs., a B-52 can haul 60,000 lbs. and, the B-1 (pronounced "bone") can carry 75,000 lbs., I'd guess it's probably on the low end.

BigBird likes this.
  9. sdg

sdg *

I had no idea it was that high. Guess that explains all the cracks in the one parked at the Hill AFB museum.

10. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Except now adversaries are developing/deploying passive 'radar' sensors that won't reveal their location or activity while receiving signals from other sources that can be used to located aircraft.

11. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Payloads don't have to be that high with the technology of modern weapons. Hell, we started out with 2000lb GPS weapons and now are down to 250lbs. No need for a lot of collateral damage when you don't have to.

The BONE does not carry anything close to that payload...it flys with the fuel cell in fwd bay almost 100% of the time. Not to mention, its crap reliability....lol BUFF rules, with the B2 right there with it. Both are dump trucks and neither rarely carry max payload.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a really hard time giving the government enough credit to assume that they have super advanced tech they're keeping secret. Its been a long time since the government really attracted top talent. Like 30-40 years. All the brains go private and make big money on their own these days.

13. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Government doesn’t build anything. Private industry does. Skunk Works being one example. Just funded by and operated by govt.

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Unveiled means it's old tech ready to officially acknowledge

Gino230 likes this.
  15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

in 1986 SAC still stood ground alert, meaning that at every bomber base there was a contingent of bombers and tankers loaded and ready for war - both conventional and nuclear (depending on the base). This replaced the process of airborne alert that was discontinued after several incidents where planes were damaged and on more than one occasion weapons were lost. The drill was that all planes were to be in the air within 7 minutes of the order being given and the base klaxons sounding. Crews lived on base in a special facility inside the fences for the aircraft, standing duty for seven days at a time. This system was discontinued by HW Bush after the first gulf war.

and to someone else’s comment, the Buff has been the heaviest capacity platform over all the planes that have come since it went into service. At one point it was the only platform that could deliver any weapon but I am not sure if it still holds that title. The rotary cruise missile racks that went into the internal bomb bay was incredible and remained a classified component well into the 90s.

16. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

The company I work for is building this shitbox, and I can’t wait to quit. Between this and the new ICBM (GBSD) my employer is very good at building WMD’s while having the most diverse and inclusive team ever.

Knotcher likes this.
  17. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

The company I work for is building this shitbox, and I can’t wait to quit. Between this and the new ICBM (GBSD) my employer is very good at building WMD’s while having the most diverse and inclusive team ever.

18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You can say that again.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Duh...you ever wonder how retarded you can be??? I just was told B1 = bone! I used to think it was because it was oddly shaped...duh. :confused:

20. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

On the Teamwork Building Team from HR, are we? :Poke:

pawpawrc likes this.