1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Racetrack in Missouri/Ozarks???

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Nov 25, 2020.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I hope WERA puts this track on their schedule!!!!!!!!!
    WERA races arent anywhere near STL.....I would love to come/watch/help-out/pit-b*tch for the Beeb racers, if they were closer.
    I hope WERA comes back to Missouri...... :)

Razr likes this.
  2. SpeedyE

They modified it for car-drifting/etc....
    I know they (MCRA) tried to hold a TD there at the end of the summer, but pulled the plug a couple weeks out, like you said, due to something about the 'new' track.
    Hopefully the new track they are building in the Ozarks is good/safe and brings clubracing back (WERA/CCS) to the area. That would benefit MCRA as well. That club been around a LONG time :)

3. SpeedyE

What kinda bikes did he compete on???? Was he Wera racer? That is Old Skool!!!!
    Very cool!!!!!

4. SpeedyE

Question, dumb question.
    Arent racetracks concrete w/ sea shells in the newer ones. This track appears to be 100% asphalt. I dont have the best memory, but I dont ever recall racing/or TD'ing on a 100% asphalt track. Is this normal?
    I would think 100% asphalt would get greasy/slick/soft in the STL summer heat? No?
    I dunno..... ?

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but the only tracks I have seen using concrete are drag strips.

Pride & Joy, SpeedyE and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  6. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

I’m not an asphalt expert, but I would have guessed all of the tracks I’ve visited were made from asphalt. Jennings, Homestead (other than the patches), VIR, CMP, etc. You know, anytime I’ve been really close to the asphalt at these tracks I’ve either had my eyes closed or was unconscious from the impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyE likes this.
  7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

RRR was concrete and seashells in the 80's. These days racetracks are asphalt. But, it's not the same mix used on public roads.

TurboBlew, stk0308, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Simon Crafar talks a bit about circuit asphalt in this “Tech Talk”. It’s definitely not normal asphalt.

Autobahn’s first paving fell apart, because the company of union asshats who paved it knew nothing of race circuits. Since unions control Shitcago, unfortunately, the ownership were forced to use them. After that debacle, the unions allowed the ownership to contract the same company who paved Barber.

BigBird, jrsamples and SpeedyE like this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Nope , Honda VF 750 with Dymags

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. motoracer1100

I was under the impression that Autobahn’s pavement fell apart because of improper sub base or none at all , in some areas and lack of sub terrain drainage. Either way , it was a mess .

SpeedyE and ducnut like this.
  11. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

And Barber had to replace because their first surface didn’t hold together. I think they got the company that works on Indy. I remember when the seams started separating in the first year or so.

SpeedyE and ducnut like this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I stumbled into one of the partners, ~13-14yrs ago. We got on the subject of the struggles they went through with the place. He mentioned having college kids working on non-skilled tasks, around the property, during construction. He said the unions saw that and shut down everything, forcing them to hire union workers for such mundane tasks as picking up trash. He went on to explain their paving issues, brought about by incompetent union companies not knowing how to properly pave a race track. He said, if they would’ve known what the unions were going to be like, they would’ve never built the place. It just solidifies how shitty IL and Chicago are and is why 330 people leave this state, every single day.

On a side note, the guy said some members had started getting into buying old Trans Am cars. He said they’re the hardest thing on the pavement surface, causing most of the ripples in the braking zones. He said the best were motorcycles and G1 race cars (<these things are awesome).

Senna, SpeedyE and jrsamples like this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Most road courses I've seen over the years are asphalt with an aggregate mixed in. For most it's a stone, but Daytona and others used sea shells because it was close and readily available. I guess there's not a lot of stone quarries in Georgia or Florida?

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. SpeedyE

Interceptor (!) (Cool Bike!).
    #949?

15. SpeedyE

Interesting.....
    I was told sea-shells because it offers more grip, and is what MotoGP tracks require, and i have parroted that many times over the years. First I heard this was in regard to Barber, when it first opened.
    Truth is, now, because that "is what is nearby available". Ha.
    Very interesting/cool/enlightening. Thank you :)

16. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    ducnut likes this.
  17. SpeedyE

WERA was there in 99(?) for an endurance.
    Then CCS came in, in 2000. Heavy grids for several years.
    Eventually CCS split mid 2000's, and TrackAddix, partnered w/ CCS (TrackAddix/CCS trophies, CCS $, CCS points) came in till the end of 2000's, med/light grids.

MCRA do TD's and hold 'gentleman/friend/local' races at lunch break. MCRA will run there, as long as they can......local track. STL is not the hot-bed of go-fast track/racing......you almost got to drag these streetguys to the track for their first TD. strange era.
    If MCRA held their local TD/race at Putnam, I dont think (imho) they would/could get enuff attendance, at this point.
    They also have friendly competitor, MWTD, local.....so the pie has been cut in half.

Gateway is dangerous, but only if you look at the walls, lol.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Most drag strips have the staging area and X amount down track in concrete because of the huge forces the cars put on the pavement doing burnouts and hard launches from the line. Then most are asphalt all the way down to the shut off area and then a barrier and then sand to catch the car or bike with no brakes

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

This looks amazing!

3C79ED65-2AE2-41BE-B1E4-8A6876730D10.jpeg

Phl218, stk0308, Chango and 2 others like this.
  20. motoracer1100

# 552

SpeedyE likes this.