1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and Different Vintage Series

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

To try to boost vintage attendance, WERA and HMGP are going to collaborate on presenting a new series at four southeastern events this summer.

The WERA Collector Series: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/hmgp-and-wera-partner-to-form-new-class-of-racing/

The Collector Series is an opportunity for collectors of road racing motorcycles to exercise and exhibit their bikes at speed on a racetrack. It is designed as a non-competitive exhibition in which the owners are free to run their machines as fast as they desire. Safety of the participants and preservation of the machines are paramount concerns so a no-contact rule is strictly enforced. Owners are encouraged to bring former champions and notable racers to ride their machines. Owners are expected to have exhibits about the machines in the pits and be available to answer questions from the fans. No points or championships are awarded. If the bike is still in its original livery it may run the number associated with its previous rider rather than that of its current owner.

The WERA four rounds will be:

Roebling: May 28

Road Atlanta: June 18 and September 10

Barber: July 2

HMGP has been promoting the collector series since 2008. Their events have been run in conjunction with AMA Pro Racing, Moto America, Historic Sportscar Racing and Sportscar Vintage Racing Association. Below is a link to the HMGP pits at the SVRA Amelia Island Gran Prix last month.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...50640961.29706.100000998722775&type=3&theater

Seen in this picture among others are the: #1 bike which is a 1982 WERA endurance champion; the blue #16 which is Tom Kipp’s 1995 Supersport championship bike; the black #155 which is Ben Bostrom’s 2010 superbike; orange #16 is a 1978 Bimota KB1 and the brightly color #8 is Hector Barbera’s 2013 Kawasaki CRT bike from the MotoGP series. Of course not all of the bikes have that sort of pedigree. There were two TZ750 bikes being ridden and Dale Singleton’s Daytona winner on display. Any bike which the owner feels is collectible is welcome to apply. This is a series where the focus is on the bike. This is not the place to race it to death, it is the place to give it a chance to breathe again.

Any regular WERA competitor can sign up to run in the collector series in addition to the regular race classes. You should register under “Other/Practice”. The regular fee schedule applies to this additional class.

There are a couple different tech standards from the race classes. Since we are not running for times, points or championships transponders are not required. If you want lap times and have a transponder you may run it or you can rent a transponder from WERA by the event. You must run numbers so the corner workers and race control can properly manage the event. However you may run a number on the bike related to its heritage and not associated with the rider’s number. The numbers still have to be regular sized but the color of the number and background may reflect bike’s history.

So if you have something that has been sitting in the garage for a while that is precious to you which you wish to ride again on a track but not necessarily race again, this is the place for you to bring it out and exercise it. If you have questions call Bill Brown (404) 379-6091 of HMGP about how you can participate or the WERA staff at (770) 720-5010.

Killswitch and VFR#52 like this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Would a bone stock 1990 FZR400 qualify?

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This sounds fantastic but putting a few retired racers on the old bikes and think they won't race... Bahahha

In all seriousness this is one of the coolest things in a while

2smokercr500 likes this.
  4. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

This is pretty cool! I can see my dad getting involved with this. He wants to track a vintage bike but he doesn't really want to race.

So what is the curriculum for determining what is an eligible bike? (Are replicas okay?)

This seems like a great way to show case a little history of the bikes and possibly get people involved. I just hope that bikes that can and should be raced, don't end up in this class only instead of the actual race classes.

Even if you are not in this class. I don't think having a little exhibit about your race bike is a terrible idea. Anything to give the spectators more to do and see will only help it grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Would a bone stock 1990 FZR400 qualify?
    If it is a tired old street bike, no. If it is preserved and presented as a period production racer which still passes current tech standards, yes.

So what is the curriculum for determining what is an eligible bike? (Are replicas okay?)
    Properly built, maintained and presented replicas are fine, but they must pass current tech standards (bellypans, etc.)

See http://www.hmgpracing.com/ for more information.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

My 400 is a current and proper race bike. I still race it in vintage and modern D class with WERA.

7. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

You can register and ride in the collector class in addition to your other classes. Happy to have you join in.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Here ya go Can Am....me and the 400 at RA last year:

Attached Files:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  9. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Congratulations. As the first new recruit to the series you are entitled to a free home-brewed craft beer in the HMGP pits. The are many spaces still available on the grid but only a few more in the free beer line. Thanks, Ron

10. joec

joec brace yourself

Dude, nice pic..you look legit!

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Rims are the wrong color you are disqualified for the free beer

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

What a coincidence. I happen to like beer. ALOT. In fact, I'll bring some of my beers to pitch into the cooler.:clap:

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

High five. That's turn six at RA. I love that turn. I giggle everytime I go through it because I like to try to 'spider monkey' the bike. That old FZR ain't a spider monkey bike. The stretch on it's too long. But I try it anyway giggling. Rest of the course I look.....:rolleyes:....or.....:eek:.

:D

joec likes this.
  14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Kiss it.

15. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Ol' Ron (Can-am) brews some good beer gents!

Should be interesting. There are some good guys in that group.

How many bikes are you running Ronnie? Can I come play sometime?

It is my understanding that you need to be a "Gentlemen" to run in this class....didn't Metalhead lose his gentlemen card? :)

Nice pic tho.

16. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

I don't get it.... If you have a race bike and do not race it ... Take it to a bike show.... So Wera wants us to display our bikes....

JBall and james walker like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, WERA wants YOU to do whatever YOU want. This isn't instead of our regular Vintage racing, it's in addition to. It's for those riders who do want to display their bikes, those riders who do have some really cool old stuff they want to play around on but don't want to race. It's an option for riders who want that kind of thing.

18. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I think its a great combo.

Who knows, maybe a few of those guys will step into the racing grid.

I see it like an additional practice session.

I haven't seen the schedule, is there one posted? I'm just curious how its gonna work.....are they displacing any of the Vintage race practice sessions?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Already have some planning on it. Had some come run at Roebling in March I believe in between what they were doing down at Amelia Island.

No displacing anything we currently run, it'll be on top of everything. I'll be working on the event schedule soon (currently doing VMD - we're going to do pre entry for it through our site).

20. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

Hmm, interesting.