1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AMA class structure and rules package

Discussion in 'General' started by dean dufrene, Dec 4, 2013.

1. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Disappointing it is. Stop me on the street and I will have a very similar rant myself. I've been confused by it all for sometime now.

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If the AMA comes up with a class for younger riders, we'll be there, regardless of bike choice. Unless the bike selected is reasonably inexpensive to buy and race, I wouldn't expect big grids. At twelve years old, my kid's only racing goal is to win his next race. I think big grids and close competition are more important than bike specs, for both the rider and the audience.

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

:stupid:

And a full moto 3 spec bike is not going to get the grid. It has to be "cheap"ish to run.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not sure as I haven't really thought about that specific question much and would rather put some thought into it before forming a complete opinion.

Moto3 with stock motors is a good beginner class at our level, not sure if it's the right thing for Pro racing. Can't see someone going from doing well in 600SS stuff with us to a Moto3 machine at AMA Pro. Would be different if entry level for them was kids like in Europe but it's not.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You'll be there and you'll be out of racing in 2 years.

AMA Pro doesn't need a kids class. The kids have a LOT of places to run and hone their skills before they move up to pro racing. Going too soon will do nothing except piss away money that would be better spent on more track time and experience. Look at the kids you're all talking about right now - they did not go to a kids class at pro races.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You still talking about a class at the national professional level?

7. backcountryme

Yeah, that is why I put cheap ish.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Moto3 will be cheaper than DSB so it's relatively right. It's professional racing, it's not cheap.

9. backcountryme

That was why ish was after cheap.

10. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Come on, that never happen... :rolleyes:

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I don't mean we would go AMA now. My rider is twelve. If a viable entry level class below 600cc comes along, of course we'll give it a shot when he meets the requirements. That does not mean we'll give up club racing in exchange. We've spent four years in Wera already, counting the mini classes. The young racers doing well at the world level did indeed race youth oriented classes at the national level in their home countries. I'm not operating under the illusion that my kid will be contesting world championships one day, but if any American kid is going to get there, we could use a path based on the European model.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is a proven model - there and here.

13. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

:stupid:

14. John29

You're not gonna get a class for 14 year olds. The chances of anybody under 16 being included in an AMA Pro event went away after Peter Lenz (R.I.P.) died at Indy in a USGPRU MD250H class in 2010 and the general media went insane over the incident, claiming, among other things, that the kids were going 160mph around the oval. So a sub-16-year-old class won't happen.

But, there was a time when it was normal for 16 and 17 year olds to race 125cc GP bikes. If anything happens with a class for smaller bikes, it will come with a 16 year old minimum age.

That is my prediction anyway.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Anyone still making 125cc stink wheels?

16. John29

The place for younger kids to race will continue to be at events like WERA puts on.

17. John29

Not that I know of, so it will have to be 250cc four-stroke equivalents. Or something like that.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, but gawd dang do I hate diesels. 2 smokes are cheap to maintain and even a hamfisted goober mechanic like me can maintain one.

But a 250cc lumper would be acceptable, if it could be done cost effectively enough.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Dave, I figure you are over 16 but I imagine there would be an upper age limit, not just a size...

20. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

I believe, what all of the kids want is a place to race on similar bikes without having hp wars. While the Ninja/CBR 250's are reasonable in price, they are not great for learning or moving up. We will continue to race WERA etc., but America will always be behind internationally, if we wait until the kids are 16 to get a real chance to race on the same type of bike. A lower level type of bike that races in the AMA may boost enthusiasm in America.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013