1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New AMA class structure and rules package

Discussion in 'General' started by dean dufrene, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No way in hell would I even consider it. Nope, I'm pretty much done.

Unless WERA does a grom class or something equally stupid.

Then again, I have been thinking about teaming up with a tuner, buying a bike or two and running some kid in the future. That might be interesting to me.

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I already told you no Dave, stop asking.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think kids want to race. The parents are the ones worried about hp and they're also almost always wrong in their assumptions about what the other guys have. This has also always been and always will be an issue. No one will ever believe all the bikes even in a spec series are the same.

Those bikes are great for learning. No they aren't good for moving up. You do not have to keep the kids on a 250 until they turn 16.

I'd suggest you have the kid start on a Moriwaki or 125 or 205 street machine. Once they're good on that move them to a LW Twin level machine. Once they are good there move to either a real Moto2 type machine or a 600SS bike. All this can be done before they are 16. Once they are accomplished at the club or pro/am level on the 600 they are ready to try pro racing. Skipping steps can be done depending on the rider but very very few ever go pro too soon and survive as racers for long.

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

No, it is not what the kids want...it is what the DADS want. It was only 5-6 years ago when there was 30-40 rider grids in the Moto3 class at several (not all) tracks.

5. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

When did you learn English?

Never, obviously.

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

What do you think is responsible for this situation?

As far as what this Dad wants, my kid is twelve. I want us to spend time together doing something we both enjoy. We both enjoy the racing and the camaraderie. If he decides he wants to do something else tomorrow, it was time and money well spent.

7. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Healthy attitude Nigel, and good on ya dad

8. :stupid:
    Spot on Nigel.

9. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I agree with the simple and cheap small bore bike theory saving motorcycle racing in the usa. I just wish there were more interest in the higher spec stuff too. Gone are the days of tinkering and trick stuff. Proper race chassis teach mechanical skills and opens the eyes to rider / bike interaction (because of the adjustability, performance, etc).

10. All so true and John was right also about the age piece. We are a very litigation based society, it drives costs and alters everything. Too bad. Would it be a stretch to try again for a sub 16 year old to get out there with a verifiable performance and race history resume?

11. :up:
    Plus one.

12. earacing

earacing Race Dad

This is the right attitude. I wanted my kid to like me when he grew up--to look back and say he had a great dad and enjoyed our time together. That's not as easy as it sounds, because racing is stressful and we race dads are learning as we go. Fortunately most of us figure it out before we screw things up too badly.

This article really hit home with me.
    What Makes A Nightmare Sports Parent -- And What Makes A Great One

After I read that article there was really only one thing I would have to say at the end of a long, hard race weekend:

"I love to watch you ride, Kenny."

[​IMG]

13. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

^^^Good read^^^

14. Thinking about the possibilities of a US Moto 3 class team on GP spec racers here is my short list. All I think are between 12 and 16 years old. Some have or are moving up a class and some who may be coming up from minis in the next year or two. Others are not currently riding GP spec bikes but have. I don't know many names or ages of the western WERA F3 riders or many of the CCS/USGPRU/other orgs. kids. This would be a grid to see with some great racing. Add more if you know of any. This is one big carrot for the mini racers out there. If I misspelled any names, sorry.

Great article EARACING

Palmer Kling
    Preston Kling
    Anthony Mazziotto
    Brandon Paasch
    Nic Swensgard
    Caleb Smith
    Jackson Blackmon
    Nolan Lampkin
    Ashton Yates
    Joshua Jovi
    Draik Beauchamp
    Kyle Lawson
    Jake Hayes (Canada)
    Philipp Da Silva
    Gabriel Da Silva
    Trevor Standish
    Garrett Parker
    Peter Yates
    Jason Uribe
    William Monteiro

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Forget anyone under 16 for the series.

16. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I like what the AMA is proposing to do for 2015. I would like to see the age be dropped to 14 for the Entry Level class. I personally think we have too many lawyers for this though....

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What? :D

18. Cam Morehead

Read post #196 to clear up any confusion....

.:Poke:

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But what does #196 have to do with much of anything and why is huge and bolded?

You're right but still, why the bold?

20. Cam Morehead

I read about 5 pages of some guy trying to justify some argument about "newbie" versus "entry level"...... my eyes were hurting trying to find anything that was related to the AMA class info.... I figured I would help the next guy like me that was just trying to read about the AMA rules proposals and feedback..... :crackup: