1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help diagnosing 99 r6 start problem

Discussion in 'Tech' started by el_guapo, Oct 27, 2004.

1. el_guapo

el_guapo Well-Known Member

died on me and sputtered around the track for almost a full lap. it was very similar to running out of gas.

when i try to start it, theres a loud and fast clicking noise and i can hear & feel that it is coming from the fuel pump. but i tried replacing that wiith a known good one and the problem is still there. battery is brand new, and it cranks like it wants to start. help :confused: :(

2. mizter1

mizter1 Mizter1

Man, you killed her.

3. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

fuel pump relay? can you jump the relay and see if the pump runs?

4. el_guapo

SHISH UP ASS MAN

5. el_guapo

man that sounds like ethiopian or something to me. but i did know that the other possibility was a relay because thats whats some dude pitted next to me said, after he said he could hear and feel the clicking coming from the pump. that was around the time that the previous owner stopped by and was mumbling some crap about killing her, what are you doing to her, i dunno. god what a nightmare, that guy wont get off my back! :confused:

so, i took out the black box that was also making the noise, and i looked it up in the manual and it said starter delay or something like that. i dont know what to do with it though.

i really dont know what the hell im doing. i just know how to put on new clipons and shit like that when i break it. but this is kind of over my head. i just wanted to try and fix it myself to avoid taking it somewheres and getting fudged. :mad:

6. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

try to find a fuel pump relay from another bike. switch it with yours. (this is a simple plug-in type deal)......see if you r bike runs:)

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Is the fuel valve under the tank turned on? If you hear the pump clicking it should be working. Next dumb question is it got any fuel in the tank:)

8. el_guapo

yea it is, and the tank has gas :(

9. el_guapo

workin on finding a 99!

10. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

Begin with: Where if the fuel now? Will it pour out of the line from the petcock? Vacuum petcock? Tank cap vent? Does anything squirt out of the pump? Does the relay pull in when checked with a meter? Is there fuel in the float bowls? You should be able to isolate the offending component in about an hour.

11. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Ok you hear the pump clicking....take the fuel line off the carbs and place it in a bottle turn the key on fuel should flow out as the pump is clicking. Next if fuel flows open a float bowl drain on the bottom of the carbs a good amount of fuel should flow out. If you have fuel next is spark...next is compression. give me a shout at 404-863-0522 they call me Huffdaddy:)

12. el_guapo

THANKS DUDE YOURE THE MAN FOR OFFERING TO GIVE PHONE CONSULTATION AND ALL. I GOT IT SOLVED THOUGH, THANKS AGAIN!

13. el_guapo

ALMOST FORGOT-

SCREW YOU ASSMAN! NOBODY MAKES A FOOL OF EL GUAPO :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. Rich SmithMoore

What solved the problem?

15. el_guapo

ASK THE ASSMAN :mad:

16. el_guapo

actually - i didnt mean to be rude - some nutsack poured some gas in it and it started right up :(

17. Rich SmithMoore

Don't feel bad. My brother-in-law left our endurance bike at the far side of Road America one time cuz he thought it had terminal enginitis. It needed gas. Maybe he just got tired of riding.........

In fact, it had gas! He just needed to turn the little petcock lever.:mad:

18. mizter1

mizter1 Mizter1

some nutsack huh

19. el_guapo

YEA I KNOW HES THE MAN :clap:

IM A STUPID