1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice w/ the Dog / Baby Relationship

Discussion in 'General' started by Heikes, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

I've got a pit-lab mix. Great, loving dog. Very protective of my wife and 11 month old daughter.

At first the dog was weary of the baby. They stayed away from each other and if the dog came up to one of us parents while holding the baby the dog would actually snarl her lip a bit if the baby reached out toward the dog.

Fast forward a few months and they are getting along great. I received a picture message yesterday from my wife with Layla (daughter) playing with Audrey's (dog) face and pulling on her ears and playing fetch with her (as closer to fetch as an 11 month old can get).

Today, I get a text that Audrey just bit Layla. Not a real bite (if an 80lb pit wanted to hurt someone, she would) but more of a snip at Layla's freakin head! Layla has some red marks and a bump from one of the dog's teeth.

My question is, WTF do I do? Of course, I will get rid of Audrey if I have to, but that's the last resort. I don't want to hear any ignorant crap about Pit Bulls because they are the best family protectors and listeners out there. So does anyone have any good training advice to get the dog to chill the fuck out? Should I call a professional trainer or are there any good tips from the board?

Thanks!

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If it were me, and the dog was agressive to the baby, it would have to go. I am not willing to take the chance at 11 months. You cannot reason with them and the consequences of learning the hard way are too extreme.

<edit> I wouldn't be willing to take the chance at any age.</edit>

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. dakinesuzukinut

dakinesuzukinut Well-Known Member

How old is the Dog? did the dog come along after the kid? need more info

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hate to say it but yeah, can't really trust either the kid or the dog so one has to go. I'd get rid of the kid personally :D

5. dakinesuzukinut

Has the dog shown aggression towards outher dog?is it your only pet?

6. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Dog is 7 years old. We've had her since she was 6 months. We have a cat, but they don't really play or anything. They keep to themselves. Damn dog is being kept outside at the moment. I definitely won't be taking any chances. I bought a muzzle for the beast today. I guess it might be time to find a pit-bull rescue. FUCK

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Not that it's any help but did your wife see the whole thing, did Layla do something to the dog, pull ears too hard etc ? Obviously an 11 mo. old doesn't know any better but if she did hurt the dog natural instincts will kick in. I don't have any answers training wise but I will not keep a dog I can't trust.

8. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

I have the exact same dog breed(pit/lab).....and an 18 month old daughter.....he is awesome with her, but if he ever took a snip @ her, he would be looking @ the wrong end of a .45......seriously though, take him to a good pro trainer.....:up:

9. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Not worth the chance. Dog's gotta go.

I know Venom will be here shortly extolling the virtues of dogs versus kids, but let's be realistic. I was very lucky with my shepherd and the kids when they were babies.

Do the right thing. A dog is an animal. The kid will be everything to you.

10. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Oh, and yes. The dog is a bit dog-aggressive. I didn't do a good enough job of socializing her. She used to play with other dogs, but we don't really have any other friends with dogs anymore.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

At least until they hit the teen years. Then bring the dog back.

12. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

I would love to hear that a pro trainer word work it out. I just don't want to spend the time/money and still have the dog being an old, angry bitch.

13. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Maybe I should look into cryogenics then

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why does wife enter my mind?

15. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Ha! I'll tell her that's my plan. Freeze the wife and dog so Layla and I can spend every weekend at the track or at the mountain.

Seriously, thanks for the advice everyone. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but constructive nonetheless.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

7yrs old... new tricks? Not gonna happen :tut:

17. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Today:
    [​IMG]

18. dakinesuzukinut

Geez...What a delemia, I think you should obviously keep the dog outside or In a Dog crate, Yes they make em for an eighty pounder and dont overreact on emotion right now. Make some calls to local trainers and get some perfessionals advice. It sounds like things can be worked out somehow? It really sucks they are both family memebers.

19. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Well where were you 20 minutes ago?

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hawaii. Same place he is now.