Name your favorite MotoGP race

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Aug 17, 2021.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Great season, 9 winners if I remember right

2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

How did you guys watch that back then ?

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

TNN (maybe it was TCN) would show them two or three weeks after the race at like 4 am. You'd Wait for cyclenews to come in the mail and then Catch motoworld, see how the race was and then wait to watch the race. You could video it but chances are it was shown earlier or shown later.
    Tape trading helped a bit but chances are someone would splice in a few dick picks in the video.

Laguna,I think NBC showed that live, warts and all. I was in Macy's in the Rockaway mall in NJ watching it. Didn't have the $$$ to go out to watch it that weekend and I went to the Mall with my GF at the time and lucked into seeing it. :D

stk0308 likes this.
  4. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

2003 Phillip Island - the Rossi 10 second penalty race.

5. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Assen 2011 because Ben won

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Most memorable for me is Hockenheim 92'. Pretty sure 92'... Schwantz outbraking Rainey was the most insane thing I'd ever seen. That place produced some incredible battles. I'd say that race followed by Norick's first wildcard race. Those two stand out the most to me.

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

8. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

As DaveK said, Laguna was on the network. I guess since it was the first GP on American soil in decades, there were plenty of Americans in in the series, they figured it was "worthy". As for all the others, DUKE video. I believe I was ordering them from Lockhart-Phillips.
    As for 'loppit85' asking why they are special, I'll go a but further on mine.
    Suzuka 1988: Kevin Schwantz shocked the world by putting it to the field.
    Laguna 1988: The pure mastery of Eddie Lawson and Jimmy Felice that day, plus the actual display of emotion from Lawson afterwards. Felice deserved that ride for the rest of the year.
    Paul Ricard 1988: Lawson gutting it out through injury combined with Kel Karruthers making that Yamaha so fast, it ran down the Hondas on the Mistral Straight.
    Phillip Island 1991: Wayne Gardner bowed that NSR up so tight through that race that he busted both fairing brackets and left it flopping in the wind. The sheer force of will to win.

stk0308 likes this.
  9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The battle described by Giberneau opposing him vs. Rossi in the movie "Fastest". His comments are awesome and give an incredible analysis of the racecraft involved in those few last laps. Amazing stuff.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

How could you not pick 2012 Valencia. I loved this race, there was so much going on in it. The unpredictable weather. The fiasco in the pits last minute before the start. Stoner's final race. A CRT bike (Asparagus) taking the lead and running up front for a lap or 2. Jorge letting launched into orbit. And Pedrosa basically coming from last place to take the win.

11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I was there. Just amazing.

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Man my brain just aint wired this way. I watch 'em and three months later they are out of my brain.

Except for the Rossi Karate Kick *TM

13. ton

ton Arf!

same.

hard to assess the overall "quality" of the race compared to others in the last 30 years when you get to witness the insanity of the last laps and the national pride in an Italian winner on a Ducati in real life at an Italian track. what an experience.

TX Joose likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think that was the '91 race.

15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Phillip island 2010 or 11. It wasn’t the race. It was Ben Spies talking about how magical Casey was around the track and I really watched him that race and he really was doing shit no one else could do. Last weeks race will always be up in my top 5. It was amazing.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Laguna 2008. It was the year I started riding and they happen to have that race on Fox, otherwise I would not have known about MotoGP. It was a great race to get introduced to the sport.

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

18. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

91! Those drafting battles through the forest then crazy passes in the stadium at that track always standout for me.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was already a big Kevin Schwantz fan at the time but that race cemented his status as a god. Few things I have done around motorcycles were a match for the excitement of having him tell me the story in details some years later. I literally would have never imagined that as a teenager.

PMooney Jr. likes this.
  20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

THE PASS
    Good lord was it a good one too.