1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name your favorite MotoGP race

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Aug 17, 2021.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Year and circuit and why.

I started following the sport late (2016) and love to go back and watch some of the really exciting races from the past.

Which ones stand out to you?

rice r0cket likes this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Valencia 2006..........for all the feels.

Catalunya 2009......for a battle for the ages.

Knotcher, StaccatoFan and gixxernaut like this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So many good ones.

BHP41 likes this.
  4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I remember enjoying the hell out of Mugello 2006. It just had lots of lead changes and fighting at the front:

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Good thread. MotoGP has been posting historic races on YouTube, but some of them are real duds, not sure why they're digging those up to post.

6. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Who can remember. I don't recall where the series was past this last weekend.
    I remember Rossi stuffing Gibbernau, Robot taking out Hayden, Stoner on the Stones, Hayden beating Edwards to the line
    Edwards vs Bayliss in WSBK. After that my mind erases it

Oh Oh - Nicky wins at Laguna, because I was there.

7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Jerez, 2004 was a classic between Sete and Valentino, and one of the rare instances where Rossi got booed. I agree with NemesisR6 that Catalunya 2009 stands out as an all-time classic. Going back a little further there are some epic battles between Roberts, Schwantz, Rainey, Lawson, Kocinski, Doohan, Gardner, etc., available on the Youtubes. The golden days of 'merican GP greatness.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Laguna Seca 2008. Watching Stoner ride that non-turning pig around the outside of Rossi on the front straight, crashing in the hairpin, then somehow uncrashing and continuing around the corner. Again and again. I was thinking , "Dude, it's only a motorcycle race. Don't get yourself killed doing this."

BigBird likes this.
  9. lopitt85

Keep them coming fellas. I can go back to 2002 on the MotoGP app. And I should eb able to find most others on YouTube.

10. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

11. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Whatever year it was that they had the first and only Turkish Gp. Had flown over there as an instructor for Cornerspeed and we got to see the GP race. Watching Hopkins slide the front tire lap after lap into turn one was amazing. We ended up not being able to do the track day after the race due to Bernie Ecclestone pulling a fast one due to his now owning the track leasing contracts and raising the track rental fee $20K higher than what we’d already paid for the event. That part sucked but seeing the GP and being treated as a rock star was incredible.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Top of my head:
    '88 Suzuka gp: 500s
    '88 LaGuna gp: 250s and 500s
    '00 Rio GP

You know what, a lot of them.

13. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I'd add Paul Ricard '88 and Phillip Island '91 to that list. I love it when a champion digs deep.

14. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

That was the same year as Rossi passing in the dirt in the corkscrew, right? I was there. Not up by the corkscrew but in the stands at turn 4 and with direct view of the large TV display across the track and in front of us. That was awesome to watch. :)

Jim Moore likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The Pass

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

This one is for motion: PI 2015. :beer:

crazymofo and BHP41 like this.
  17. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

Mugello 2019

TX Joose and BHP41 like this.
  18. lopitt85

You guys are leaving off the why. You gotta add that for why its your favorite race. An epic battle, saw your favorite crowned champ, improbable run through the field...

19. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Suzuka 1994 - Norick Abe’s debut at 18 years old on the 500.

Hard to believe a “kid” took it to the GP veterans the way he did that day.

RIP Norick

stk0308, rd400racer and BHP41 like this.
  20. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

So so many.
    I’ve been watching 2019 on the summer break. Some great races in that season.