1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mugello, Italy | MotoGP 2015 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, May 26, 2015.

1. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

This moto3 race is awesome. Looks like a pack of bees going round.

2. So, who was the gomer who swore up and down a couple of weeks ago that Lorenzo was all washed up, and would never win another race this season? Proof of your paying up on your bet is needed :Poke: :)

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, the one announcer was just wrong.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not one single rider in the GP's would be there without the support financially of family or sponsors. No one gets there without money because poor riders can't afford to get noticed.

As for merit based grids - being jealous of a rich racer is ridiculous. If they meet qualifying they have merit. Nicky wouldn't be there if it weren't for Earl paying for him to race most of his younger life. Same for Rossi - think having a dad who raced GP's and was friends with legends wasn't a help? No matter who the riders get support from they still have to ride the bike and make the laptimes.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Apparently enough to owe the AFF 50 bucks, so that's ok with me. :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

8. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Stop making sense and get back to making rules up that destroy road racing.

Sheesh Mongo, know your role :Poke:

:D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry!

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The latest RRW has a story about Maverick Vindaloo. Sounds like his *family didn't have a pot to piss in or even a window to throw it out of. Nice to see a poor kid ride up to the top.

* single fisherman dad raising him on his own.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They still got money from someone to get him this far. That's why I included sponsors. Like Hopper, without JU he'd have never left Cali.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap and that's one reason I was a total mark for Hopper. Too bad some stupid decision, doughnuts and my curse cut his career short.

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I am fine with the explanation for Iannone, but I don't understand how Abraham "gained an advantage" by jumping forward a couple of meters, and then getting a garbage 'real' start and going into turn 1 in last place...

I suppose if everyone did that, it would be chaos, but under the circumstances, I wouldn't have imposed the ride-through penalty.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He got the advantage by going forward that far - they can't help he screwed up the second try at it. Although at our level I have absolutely not called a jump because the rider was in last place anyway I couldn't do so at the pro level.

15. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

This... It's not as if he gets a special rich kid qualifying allowance. He can turn the times to make the grid. He could be a rich party kid chilling on daddy's yacht, doing massive amounts of blow and hookers and being a complete douche. Instead he's risking everything to race motorcycles.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I jumped a WERA two wave start once, backed into my box just in time to start with the second wave flag and saw that the officials were gonna meatball me anyway.
    Prolly caught them off guard when I pulled in after the first lap.
    Don't really know what the rules had to say about my "corrected" infraction but my race result wasn't affected by the stop-n-go.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll warn the pit lane officials to watch for it depending on who jumped :D

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

"depending on who jumped" :D :crackup:
    The message might be a bit late. That happened in 2003.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  19. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Agreed except about being jealous, that implies I hold some resentment, and I truly don’t, I like/respect the guy and it would be illogical as I'm well aware the limit of my motogp experience is to watch it on tv and maybe see it live once every few years.

I’m surprised that you guys can draw this conclusion based on evidence of how other racers with similarly less than stellar results have been treated by their teams (his results have been in decline for 5 years). Or that somehow the effective open cheque book that funds the shindig has nothing to do with it and is comparable to other fathers and families who have devoted their lives or time to make it happen for their kids. So it's not a qualifying allowance, it's more like an ongoing racing allowance where in any other team it would most likely have been pulled 4 years ago.