1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Phoenix. Pool or nah?

Discussion in 'General' started by shakazulu12, Jan 12, 2022.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Depends on a whole bunch of variables, but my 25K gallon pool outside of Philadelphia takes about a gallon every other day to maintain ~5PPM of FC with a CYA of ~40.

Costs $2.50 a gallon for Walmart bleach, so $40 a month in chemicals. Another $50 a month in electric to run the pump and that's it.

For those saying "use someone else's pool", I'm sorry but that shit is just not the same.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Why no on the grass? I just had it installed in my house in Washington. And most of the Arizona family now has it as well.

Our Bully actually was a rescue from Houston. Took him w while before he would do his business on wet grass. Initially he would only take a dump on the deck or sidewalk:crackup:

3. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

We have a Shiatzu (little guy still squats to pee) that the lab constantly pee's over his pee. The smell was obnoxious! If it was real grass at least the soil would absorb some of it.

Another item to mention, Arizona is quietly having water issues.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Fix-a-lated

Jedb likes this.
  5. shakazulu12

Gotcha. I got whatever kind drains well for dog pee. We only have one and it rains often enough that it never really dries. Even if it did, quick shot with the hose and it's good. No idea on the Arizona fam, they all have just one dog.

The water crisis is real, but have you seen Portland on the news?:crackup:

Knotcher likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

You are correct.

You save ~$90+/mo just in chemicals and electric. Plus you forgot to add in how much extra the pool costs for insurance.

So save maybe ~120+/mo and just bring a 12pack to a neighbor and pee in the pool all you want.

Way better deal

7. ChemGuy

Lack of water from fight all the fires the kids whose parents never told no to and gave them participation ribbons started?

8. shakazulu12

Don't forget the rest of the water used to put out meth fires.

ChemGuy likes this.
  9. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah pools are a great idea, you spend all that money on something that you hardly ever use, and end up begging you're neighbors to come swim in your pool.

Motofun352 likes this.
  10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You know they make filler for turf that has antimicrobials built in which control pet odors? They also make a kind that will retain moisture and let it evaporate during the day to offer a little cooling as it releases the moisture. We have 1500 sq feet of turf and I love it. Easy and no grass cutting.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Agreed, grew up with one and by age 12 I was made responsible for taking care of it. I spent every day during the spring/summer and fall in that sucker. One huge advantage my folks told me about later was they always knew where I was since my friends and I were always at our house.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. shakazulu12

That's what we got. I forget all the technical stuff, but the whole point was making the pet pee experience a non-issue.

13. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

You're doing something wrong if you're spending 15 hours a week. I've had a pool 22 years and got it down to less than hour a week. Pool service in Phoenix is around $100-$120 a month which includes all chemicals

Greenhound386 likes this.
  14. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Really?
    Cleaning up all the leaves / feathers and poop was done on the daily. Plus our pool was on the heavy use with quite a bit of kids throughout the neighborhood using it. Issue with living in a cookie cutter subdivision we were so close to five different neighbors and their foliage. The pigeon issue alone was terrible. I'm much more educated now then when I purchased the place.

Glad you could you get an hour a week!

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Mine is somewhere in the 5-10 minutes a week range. I'm thinking your estimate of 15 hours is wayyyyyyy on the high side.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

No to a pool... yes to a Tesla roof!!
    [​IMG]

17. shakazulu12

I figured I would check out solar once we got down there. Never made sense to me in the PNW, but obviously could see it's benefits in AZ.

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

that one is $128k... nifty system.
    Havent seen what kind of power it can generate. Looks alot better than panels

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Clark Griswold likes pools.

[​IMG]

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

<rhetorical> Why is the subjunctive tense so hard?

OT. I live in Sacramento and after 20 years got a new house with a pool. I use it year round (unheated), do all the maintenance, and love it. YMMV.