1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Charlottesville need some advice

Discussion in 'General' started by whizzif, Feb 15, 2005.

1. whizzif

whizzif Well-Known Member

Ok - well, I'm moving to Cville. I'm single and am trying to buy a house...probably going to have to go out of town...not opposed to the townhouse thing in town but...

I definitely have to swing the roommate deal as I don't want to be house poor (need race money).

Anyone from that area?

Let me know.

Also, Buck and Glover - give me a call. We gotta plan for 05

2. slclark65

slclark65 Well-Known Member

Good Luck

I live north of Charlottesville but work at UVA. It depends on where you can afford to live. Very expensive in most area's. Shot me a PM and i can give you some advice on where to look and where to stay away from.

Stacey

3. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

I'm about 45 minutes west in Staunton. A lot of people are buying houses near Waynesboro and commuting to C'ville. Depending on where you are going to you'd be looking at 30-40 minutes.

You can find decent places for around 150K or so. Maybe less if you really hunt or are willing to drive farther. If you get into Waynesboro itself prices come down quick.

I hear going the otherway toward Richmond can work to.

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

PAUL!!! Good to hear your getting out of the Tidewater cesspool. :beer:

5. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Afton area has a few hold out area's, but it's growing fast. Call out when you get here.

6. slclark65

Stay away from Bee, he will only get you in trouble...

Love ya Bee

7. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack

If you're looking to buy, I would look SOUTH or EAST of town. North of town is growth-intensive. West of town is $$$ until you get out towards Crozet etc. South of town ... well, I'm three or four minutes off of I-64, have several acres, and am closer to Downtown than most. I like being just south of town.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions.

--John K.

8. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I would advise that you raise your salad tossing average to double what you're already diong to afford it. Like the others say, go south and/or 20-30 minutes west.

Interesting side note- C-ville has more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the nation.

9. whizzif

I went to go look at a place and Glover showed up with a Chevy follin on dubbs, a pimp cane and a license plate that read "Due the 1st"????hahaha...jk

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to start makin people whoppers and wearin a paper hat on the side to swing living here...haha!!

If I can find a reasonable place, I'm going to get a new road bike (Scott CR1) - and then a Priller 250 once GARV gets his shit together and Glover gets an RV...haha.

Buck, how's S. Kakilaki? Give me a shout.

Joe, good to hear from ya. Hope all is well. What's the plan for '05?

Thanks for all the tips guys on the living situation.

I'll keep you posted.

whiz

10. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Paul! Glad to hear you got the job in C'ville. If memory serves, you'll be working slightly north of town so, if the commute is an issue, you might consider the northern counties. They are getting a bit over-developed, but you can still find a good deal in Ruckersville, Madison, & Stanardsville. Give me a shout at work next week if you have any Q's: 434-951-1730

11. whizzif

Thanks Andrew.

Yeah, I think Ruckersville is where I'm going to look.

We'll see. I'll give you a shout next week

cya

Paul

12. jck22903

So, did you wind up moving?

13. whizzif

yeah. I'm out of town though quite a bit for a while. I bought a place out at Lake Monticello. Couldn't afford anything decent in town.

No bike though.....not sure I'll be able to have the time to race.

14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Lake Monticello?
    Who's salad are you tossing out there?
    Hope all is well. Give me a shout when you get a min.

BTW- Glover's Chevy is now really sittin on dubs! The cane is on back-order.

Buck:D

15. jck22903

That's cool, even if it is 20-30 minutes out of town the homes out there seem to be appreciating almost as quickly as the ones in town. Inside the gates or outside?

16. whizzif

I'm tossin Thomas Jefferson's salad out at Lake Monticello...haha....

Actually, I better start tossin some salads or something to afford living out there....damn.

Cville is pretty cool though. Good rock climbing and mountain biking.

The house doesn't have a garage which sucks because I really want to get another bike. I might build something. I got some toothpicks and some glue-stick somewhere.....haha

You still got my tire warmers? Just checking. I still got your papers...haha..jk

My new cell is 434-989-8912.
    Give me your new number down there in South Kakilaky and I'll give you a shout.
    Hope all is well down there. You coming up this way anytime soon? We need to have a medieval reunion.

Speaking of Glover, Yeah, I think I saw some camel toes rollin on dubs --- haha...

17. whizzif

Outside the main gate in Crofton. I'm actually trying to find a roommate if you know anyone looking. No garage, but a nice fenced in back yard. I might build a garage depending on how I come out and how much salad I can toss here in the next few months.

18. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Hey Paul! I'll look you up when I'm in the area. How far are you from I-81?

19. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a thread w/ such a high salad-toss-per-post ratio...

...very impresive.

:D

20. slclark65

Hey Paul,

Glad you found a place to live. Hadn't heard from you. Was wondering what you decided to do. Hope you enjoy it here. A group from the ED are going out friday night if your interested. A bunch of single chicks will be going.