1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting hydraulic preload adjuster with low exhaust

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DWhyte91, Nov 19, 2021.

1. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I’m struggling trying to find a proper spot to mount the ohlins hydraulic preload adjuster on a 2016 zx10. It has the low mount graves muffler so no bracket/passenger peg to use. Anyone have a solution that looks clean and proper?

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Rotate the hydraulic adjuster so you can mount it on the subframe. Should be able to do it with the preload relaxed and a set of Sally hands.

3. DWhyte91

That’s where it was before, mounted to the bolt holes for the exhaust hanger and sticking down. That looks like crap me and almost like the swingarm could hit it. I was trying to figure out something a bit cleaner. For the record, I hate low mount exhausts.

4. metricdevilmoto

Call up your suspension shop of choice and get a mechanical preload collar instead of the hydraulic one if the aesthetics are what displeases you. Clean as it gets.

How often are you changing preload?

5. DWhyte91

It’s not my bike, I’m repairing it for a friend after it was cartwheeled. The adjuster just looks stupid there. I can put it back but it’ll bug the hell out of me forever.

6. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Can you drill a hole elsewhere? Call me if you need a riv-nut kit

7. DWhyte91

Maybe, I’ll see if there’s somewhere I can do that. The subframe is shaped weird but it’s possible.

8. DWhyte91

91E53A10-E002-4907-BA6F-78308570DC20.jpeg
    Looks better, you just need to turn your head lol

9. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Swap the bracket around then mount it to the subframe

RightSideUp likes this.
  10. DWhyte91

Not enough room, adjuster ends up against the subframe or hanging down looking stupid. If I could put a 90° elbow on and shorten the hose it would look fine there. The hose really makes it hard to mount except in the right spot where the exhaust should be

11. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

Either attach a hanger just for the preload adjuster or mount it direct to the subframe, if you dont like the angle it sits with the current bracket you can drill new mounting holes or make a different bracket. I would NOT keep it mounted on the SwingArm.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to go full SBK with the detachable preload adjuster. Having high standards is expensive.

13. DWhyte91

Genuinely curious as to why the swingarm is any worse than it hanging down off the subframe?

Not being my bike makes it cheaper ;)

stangmx13 likes this.
  14. duc995

duc995 Yep…

15. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

Reason one is adding unwanted unsprung weight, reason two I have had a few riders that want to adjust preload while riding during practice so we usually mount the adjuster on the left side of the subframe when possible, reason three with the angle it is mounted on the swingarm there is a good chance that bracket is going to work itself loose.

16. DWhyte91

Cmon, you’re not serious with number one are you?

I can see number two being a safety hazard.

Three, there’s a bend on the bracket stopping it from rotating where it’s mounted to the swing arm and the adjuster bracket is mounted the same as if it were on the exhaust.

The collar from Traxxion is actually a pretty slick piece that I would put on my own bike. I’ll see how he feels about that option

17. metricdevilmoto

Emphatically, tell them no. If they resist, hit them on the nose with a newspaper.

Do you install the faucet handles on the fork preload adjusters so they can fuss with that, too?

18. metricdevilmoto

Remember that time I said ...

TurboBlew and duc995 like this.
  19. DWhyte91

You did and I do like that option. I doubt he uses the hydraulic preload much at all.
    I have a shock compressor so I could just order it up….

20. duc995

duc995 Yep…

In regards to the preload collar….I just noticed in your pic that the top of the shock appears to inaccessible on your buddies zx-10r; I can understand how a remote adjust could be handy in that situation. Except, the amount of preload adjustment with the remote adjuster is next to nothing, and hydraulic failure is always possible.