1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The gravel thing is an odd duck, it is picking up steam around here too. I don't fully get it, but last year I met up with the guys from Poseidon bikes. They make some very inexpensive but great bikes. I now have a "flat bar gravel bike" that really feels like a MTB from the 90s. It's fun, I do ride it to cross train on a canal trail system and some of the trails too. I do recommend them now to people that ask about gravel but aren't ready to drop big money.
    It's fun for that, but it's about as far down the gravel path as I can see myself at this point.

I'm sure that Giant is a great bike, just choose a build level you're comfortable with and do it.

TurboBlew and Senna like this.
  2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I was the same way, but I rented one last year and had a blast when I rode it. I liked the speed and feel of it on gravel and dirt tracks. It felt like the bicycle version of a rally car.

I would just stick to my road bike when I want to get up to speed, but none of the trails out here are paved unless I want to drive 1.5 hours, and I’m done riding on the open road.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Can anyone tell me where I could purchase parts to allow my Rockshox domain fork 15mm axle setup to be adapted to use a 12mm axle and front wheel?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Corner canyon is the system I rode! It was an awesome trail, and even though there were a ton of riders out it didn’t seem overwhelmingly crowded by any mean. That’s actually my favorite trail system I’ve ridden. Cheyenne Cañon in COS is also solid, but nowhere the level of flowy, bermed goodness that Corner is.

brex likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I did a handful of rides on various models of gravel bikes
    ... it could fill a small niche between a mtb & road bike. If you could only have one... I could see its practical use of not limiting you to 1 type of terrain. My local trail systems just wont cooperate with a skinny wheel.
    Also I watched a local cyclecross event and nobody seemed to be having fun...

brex likes this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It does have a good mix of bike-specific downhill trails, hike/horse specific trails, mixed use meandering trails, etc. Some well groomed and sculpted berm trails, some natural rock and root obstacle trails too. Many of my loops start with 4 mile 1000ft climbs, from the tops of which one can link into those groomed areas, or the natural chunk areas, 30 mile loops to shorter 10-12 mile loops. Just depends on the day and how you feel.

Senna likes this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to explore more next time I'm out there. Work should have me in SLC once every two months, at minimum, this year.

8. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

I do and I love mine. I have a 2021 model that I was able to pick up a 15 months back. Was a MTB'r that converted to Roadie when I moved back to Flat Florida an finally the texters/vacationers/pensioners on the roadways drove me to the dirt. That and I actually discovered some of my old riding buddies had gone to the gravel dark side and there are some pretty spectacular trails out west of town and in the 'water management' areas which thankfully means they won't fuck with the land etc (hopefully). At any rate, I have enjoyed the bike, it rides really well and you get some pretty good stuff with GRX shifters etc. I know a couple of other folks who have upgraded wheels with some Zipp 303S's and said that made a huge difference. It really has done well for me and I can even take it out on road rides and find I only give up about 2-3 mph's on the road speed-wise (and probably less if I had a separate set of road wheels and tires to just throw on. I just donated my MTB to a charity and will keep the Colnago (low end model, I'm not one of those 'dentist cyclists') for my occasional road rides but truthfully I find the Revolt is my go-to bike. I've never ridden a Ducati Multistrada but I kinda feel this bike would be equivalent to that. The Giants tend to run a tad large in sizing. I would normally be a 58-60 and/or XL but the L - large size fit me pretty well. I could probably use about a 10mm shorter stem to get the perfect numbers, but I set it up as close as I could with seat, bar and pedal measurements as close to my road bike as possible as I had a proper fitting and moved the seat a little bit here and there until I got it dialed in. Speaking of the seat, the stock one is really not that bad. I am just now getting a new one on after about 3500 miles and doing a service etc. Anyway, good luck in your search and you will enjoy the shit out of gravel, I think it really is the sweet spot in cycling geometry and frame compliance, plus it is just fun. And especially so when I have been able to snipe the odd roadie and pass them with my gravel-knobby tires humming along.

Bloodhound and Senna like this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the detailed write-up! Good to know about the frame sizing. I have always ridden a 56, but have been leaning towards more endurance geo and or 54/55 sizing when applicable as I hate feeling stretched out (long legs, short torso).

It does seem like the ideal second bike for me, and the one that will likely see the most annual miles. I love the mtb and there will always be one in the stable, but it’s nice to be able to just head out of the house on the bike for a ride vs heading to the trailhead.

black knight and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

My primary bike is my second Trek Checkpoint. First new bike since 2010 was a '21 SL 6, but after many long rides I was jonesing for the wider gear spread of the '22 Checkpoint SL 7 e-tap. When my LBS had a father's day sale, I bought the last 54 cm in the area. I'll have a second set of wheels for it, with different tires on them, soon.

Senna likes this.
  11. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great set up. I prefer the 2X front chainring set up, single sprocket just seems to limit you usage a bit, especially if you intend to do any road segments. The half a pound or so you save on front derailleur and chain ring seems not a good trade off for me, but I am not a svelte weight weenie cyclist by any means.

12. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

it all really depends on your use case, if you live where its super flat and you need to pedal 30mph then its worth 2x. My gravel bikes are both 1x with a 10x50 or 9x50 and whenever I'm spun out its on a descent anyway. I don't really ride on the road, but some races have flat and road segments so I could see that. It hasn't limited me so far, but I am far from riding at the pointy end of those events anyway. I also like the idea of keeping the left shifter available for controlling a dropper post.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Finally got my kicker cassette and everything set up and good to go now.

Haven't rode regularly since before coofid.

Here's my problem....my fucking dick is going numb after 4 or 5 miles.

Should I slide seat forward or back or lean it or what ? Like It feels like it's just gone.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Saddle might just not work for you. stop in to a decent shop and do a sit bone measurement. They should have a gel pad that measures the approximate saddle width that fits you best.

The Spec Romin Evo is a solid saddle that seems to fit a ton of people. I also really like the Bontrager Aeolus.

tony 340 likes this.
  15. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

These videos should help get you in the ball park for general fitment. There are a couple directly related to saddle set up.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMZ241fyVfiv3eAJ4UYkzeb2JltpLSlzs

Dick numbness isn't always related to the seat itself. Those videos have a lot of great information.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    tony 340 likes this.
  16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I have a WTB silverado, and my brother has a spare silverado he lets people try... everyone thats tried it loves it. There may be lighter or more padded or whatever, but man it just fits. I have the same Ti silverado on each bike.

I've got a couple expensive saddles sitting on the shelf if you're interested...

tony 340 likes this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Angle the nose down just shy of level. Start there, but messing with other saddles can find you one with more overall comfort.

tony 340 likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

also just sitting on a saddle wont get you a good feel... many shops have sample loaners.

tony 340 likes this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Great advice here as always.

Slid my seat back just a hair, and angled the front of it down....little man is there again.

Sit bones still aren't used to rides every other day, I'm gonna give this seat 90 days then decide what direction I'm going.

20. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Current bike. Crazy how the Megatower 29er feels more nimble thank my N3 Nomad. I smash down shit like predator in Washington and that’s the tamest trail I ride so need a monster truck.

Attached Files:

Seiko likes this.