1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sweet. Looking in to that. Thanks.:up:

2. When I first bought my current bike used, it had a long stem. I kept tucking the front, and I saved it most of the time, but I also went down hard a few times in fast turns. I changed it to a really short stem and it made a world of difference.

Also, +1 on the Lopes book. It's the "Twist of the Wrist" of MTB.

3. TrackHo

TrackHo Well-Known Member

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

She was finished last night. Total I ended up spending on it was $600, which included $200 to have a shop do a total tweak which included rebuilding the brakes and making sure that all of the components work flawlessly.

Going for a shake-down urban ride this afternoon with my son and brother (which is nothing but a bar to bar cruise). Then next weekend it's Copper Harbor in the UP for some real riding.

I'm happy as a little girl! Finally a real bike to call my own.

[​IMG]

5. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Looking good! And yea killer bike for that kinda coin. If you're used to dirt bikes the long steering stem is likely going to feel weird.

That brick wall looks like a pretty good place to practice drops to flat :)

6. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

anyone raced ORAMM before (offroad assault on Mt. Mitchell) in Old Fort NC

racing is this Sunday

65miles and 10,500 feet of climbing!!

7. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

bike jerseys.... Im looking for a new one. Im currently rocking a drunkcyclist jersey and I love it, but want another one. Was looking at pearl izumi -quest and "eh"

Maybe a sweet elbowz racing jersey?

whatcha got?

8. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I have. Tough race. Sufferfest toward the end. Hot. Awesome fun. ..especially after its over. haha

I carried a camera and took pics all along the way.

Start. 500 riders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barely hang'n on to the draft behind a pro(and team mate) chic. Shes fast.
    [​IMG]

Loooooong bottleneck hike-a-bike on an early straight-up, fall line climb. looking up..
    [​IMG]

..and back down at the same instant.
    [​IMG]

you'll cross this. Twice.
    [​IMG]
    Same instance, looking back where I just came out of..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I's gots mo's to com:clap:

9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Slogging up to the Parkway. Killer gravel ginder climb. Looks like 36.8 miles in, on the speedo. Watch on right shows altitude at the time.
    [​IMG]

Same climb.
    [​IMG]

One of the sag stops, where you finally get up to the Parkway.
    [​IMG]

On the Parkway. Some guy..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the last climb on the BRP, behind a friend Monty at the highest point up to the top of Heartbreak Ridge trail. Long killer technical descent.
    [​IMG]

Monty at a sag.
    [​IMG]

View off from the Parkway.
    [​IMG]

10. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Monty at the finish. Its hard just to get off the bike, at this point. And hes an animal, races 40+ Expert. Talking to another friend, Mark.
    [​IMG]

Yours truly at the finish. Still about 95* and crazy humid. And about to go get some food. 8hrs 15 minutes. enjoy, its a great race. ..after its over lol.
    [​IMG]

The end

11. Wow. Looks like a tough race for sure. :up:

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wait. Those look like 26" hard tails. The magazines say they are extinct! Great photos man thanks for posting! I've been up Mt Mitchell. In a car!

13. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

haha your right. That was back in 08 or there abouts. Much less common now, thats for sure. I'm waiting on a carbon 29r as we speak. ..or type.

14. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

That 26" HT was/is my now old race bike. Got it down to the mid 18lb range. In the pic, with the heavier Fox fork and decent tires, its just over 20lbs. Uses carbon rear chain stays, Stans wheels, all ti or alum hardware, ti BB spindle(Action Tec), twin ti eggs(have 4ti eggs for this new bike), Extralite UL The Post, etc.

I've been riding/training hard since surviving that last catastrophic crash. Almost didn't survive that one. Been a long road, but I'm slowly getting there.

This is the new bike. Won't be here for about 2 weeks. Focus Raven out of Germany. Well known over there. Founded by a cross world champ and multi time German cross national champ. Will be a dedicated race bike. Got a great deal on a new 2013 5.0 model, still in a crate. Innovative and well thought of full carbon frame. I'd never heard of them until recently. Going to use some Notubes Crest rimmed wheels for racing only.

http://www.focus-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/2014/mtb-hardtail/raven-29r.html

[​IMG]

15. Wow. Bad ass bike!:up:

16. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

very cool-thanks for the photos

how technical are the descents?

i'm thinking about doing it on my cyclocross bike (with 42mm tires)

note: i'm the only one to ever run the Fools Gold mtb race here in Ga (50 miles) on a cross bike and I completed that no prob. I just wasnt that fast-lol

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  17. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I'm pretty excited. I'd labored over this for the last month, trying to decide which direction to go. Build up a bare frame..or buy used..complete bike..27.5".. etc.

Somewhat unique, It has integrated cables going thru the frame. Reminds of the old Klien bikes. Nice touch. Sorry for the big arse pic. It was smaller when I linked it..:confused:
    [​IMG]

18. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Whelp, if you did the FG50 on a crossbike, good job. I did it the first 2 yrs. Pretty tough race in itself. Both friggin times I missed the podium(45+) by 1 place. I'm still bitter haha. Its always hot as hell for that race. Seems that way at least.

While prolly not as technical as this race can be here and there, theres still some rough sections on the FG like the descent off the back side of Bull, parts of Jake mtn, etc. Having said that, for ORAMM I had the choice from this HT and a well setup 22lb FS Intense Spider. The HT did fine. Just have to try harder thru the rough stuff, is all. I think you could do it.. the descent down Kitsuma, and Heartbreak ridge will be the toughest. HBRidge is one of the longest descent in Pisgah. Very fast, narrow, very rocky and rooty in sections, short drops, very tight switchbacks toward the bottom. Its a loooooong time to be riding the style that the crossbike will demand.Also steep slopes off the sides for a ways. The Laural thickets will catch ya tho. Ask me how I know:p.

Good luck in your race.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I ride with their North American director a couple of times a year, Focus has some pretty nice stuff in the pipeline. They had patent issues here in North America on some of their suspension designs.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

This is my current ride. Definitely digging it so far. Mine was a similar situation. 2013 leftover, still in-box. Great price.