1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bike - Hard tail

Discussion in 'General' started by Game, Jun 8, 2011.

1. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

I ride Florida (north) trails and full suspension is a definite help. Lots of palmetto roots that get exposed and the good trails around Ocala can get rooty and rocky.

I went from FS to my current Lightspeed (frame bought used) hard tail and I am looking to go back to full suspension. Of course I'm old and like to sit a lot.

2. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I just bought a new Trek Fuel EX 8 3 days ago. I love it.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Because it can travel too much. I lock out mine on smooth trails and it still moves just enough to absorb some bumps. Again, it's a smooth trail so it doesn't matter too much. If you get out of the seat and pedal with it locked out, you can feel the bike move (less efficient) and tell that the lockout isn't a 100% lockout.

4. NC Jon

NC Jon Can I change my name?

I just started riding again after an at least 10 year hiatis. I broke out my old Klein Adroit (pre-Trek) with a Judy SL on the front. Considering I'm both old, fatter, and slower I expected the first ride to pummel me and I'd be looking for a full boinger. Instead I remembered why I've always loved this bike. Lightweight (19.5 lbs) makes it disappear under you. You crank the pedals and it reacts immediately. And as long as you ride with some speed/aggression the roots/rocks/bumps are a none issue. I love riding a hardtail still. But if you were to be riding at a slower pace or doing all day back country rides I would consider full suspension. To me a hard tail is more like a race/track bike. Not the most comfortable unless you're going fast and for shorter durations. Full suspension is like a comfy daily rider/tourer. But there is also a big grey area. Decide what type of riding you're going to do and how comfy you want to be. Everyone's 'right' bike will be different. I guess that's why they make so many different ones.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hmm I just found the Specialized Camber. Pretty.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

I love my dragon.

7. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

up here in the midwest we really don't need the full suspension and the hardtails climb so much better. my next one will be a moots. don't know if i want 29 or 26" wheels tho................

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

My old man has a 29er that I've riden. Def soaks up the bumps better, but doesn't handle the tight single trail as well.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Get a good 29er hard tail and don't be afraid to look at steel (Salsa makes some nice frames) Being in Florida (flat...) I'd consider a 1x9 set up (Shimano SLX is super cheap right now and good stuff). Maybe run a 34 or 36up front and a 12-36 rear. If it has mechanical disc brakes don't let that turn you off..you're not going to be confronted with big descents and you can save some coin that way and still have good brakes. For a fork a Reba that's a couple of model years old will be just fiine and they can be found new for pretty cheap and it's a very solid fork.

A hard tail is great for smooth flowing trail and stuff that's got some technical stuff. A good steel hardtail with an 80 or 100mm fork is a bike you can put some serious miles in the saddle of.

I'f you'll be a bit flexible to the tune of $100 or maybe $200 you can get a BRAND NEW steel 29er well equiped that will last and be a great bike for your area.

FWIW...In the past week I have spent some time (about 200 miles) on a Ellsworth 130mm full suspension 29er. It has the Eason Havock carbon all-mountain wheel set on it (2 year unconditional guarantee...) and they are pricy. The bike is full XT 3x9 with the exception of Marta SL brakes by Magura. Frankly, it's by far the best bike it have ever ridden. I'm starting to think the days of the 26 inch bike are limited.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  10. STT-Rider

11. STT-Rider

Easy to spot the production run that had the problem by looking at the rear disc brake mount.

12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Bumping a good older thread. I'm thinking of selling my 24" BMX and replacing it with a Specialized P1 to do some more riding. There's a guy at our local BMX track with one and he hauls ass on it. Talked to a buddy who said the P1 would be a good choice as a trail bike (FL trails) that I could still play around on too. What do you guys think, I know zero about anything other than BMX stuff?

13. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Well it's always gonna be a better jump bike than trail bike, but for Florida I'm guessing it would be fine. I've had mySTP's on the local trails here, it's a rough ride but doable for sub 20mile jaunts. For a younger guy, should be no problem at all.

14. PMooney Jr.

That's kind of what I'm looking for, something I can still ride at the track with my kids but a better bike for riding everyday than my rattly old Redline 24". I have a cheaper Giant Mt bike but it's just for cruising around the neighborhood. It's like motorcycles isn't it? End up with three different bicycles :)

15. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

16. PMooney Jr.

Awesome looking bike! Tough call on what to get, thinking I'll end up with a P1 or similar even though those 29's look bad ass. If I were to get a 29 I'd probably need to keep my 24 for the track and I can't afford both right now.

17. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

I moved up to a 29er hardtail last summer and it is amazingly fun to ride. It rolls over everything in its path with relative ease. The only issue I have found is the 29ers tend to push the front in turns a bit in sandy conditions, but nothing that can't be handled. I'd highly recommend one.

18. PMooney Jr.

I'm meeting up with an old buddy next week who has a hardtail and a FS 26 so I can ride them some. I had a friend tell me it's gonna be a compromise just like a motorcycle, that's why he has four bicycles :)

19. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

I race a niner air9.. In Texas and Oklahoma almost everyone races on a hardball or a epic sworks..if u want to spend 8k on a real racey mtb bike buy the epic but if u want to spend 2k.. A 29" hardtail is pretty hard to beat..I wouldnt buy a 26 if my life depended on it

20. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

ha! and then i bought a santa cruz tallboy. ha! the tallboy is a game changer, thing is super sweet