1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021 | Round 13 | Aragon | Spain | Sept 10-12

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 7, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, but they're at the pinnacle of their trade for arguably the most likeable rider ever. I'd say they're still having a good time.

SuddenBraking, BigBird and 83BSA like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

And I'm pretty sure he will give the mechanics a better bonus than most other riders could.

4. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

How good is it?!?!

5. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Oh did he? How come he then finished 11th in the championship with over 10 top ten ten finishes, 5 of them in the top fives?

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

5 seconds faster than the old guy doing parade laps?

i'd say there's some huge potential for improvement.

crashman likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'll give you that. After his retirement announcement, there was a couple crashes, but he did actually finish better than I remember.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I'm not going to try to act like I know what's going on in his head for sure but I would guess the same thing. Feels like when you give your 2 weeks notice at a job. For me at least, at my previous job, I pretty much knew a month before turning in my resignation that I was leaving. But I still kept plugging away, doing the best job I could. But once I submitted that 2 weeks notice, it was like everything is finalized and now we're just going through the motions. Staying motivated to continue grinding away at my job felt impossible. This is kind of what it feels like Rossi has hit since announcing retirement. Could be wrong but that's my guess.

sheepofblue and BigBird like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He should do the right thing and let Dovizioso have the good bike.

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

He has been riding at 99% for a couple years. Prior to the current crop of young guns arriving, that was enough for top 5s and the occasional podium. Now it's good for 20th. He's not necessarily slow, he's just not riding on the edge needed to compete with who is gridded up currently. Everyone is going faster while he's just going fast.
    Amazing career and he deserves to leave on whatever terms he wishes, but it's time from a performance standpoint.
    Similarly, I think Marc is up against a field that is faster and with more parity than he's ever seen. If he doesn't get healthy and that Honda doesn't become a winner without him crossing the line on it every turn, he may not win another title. I hope he gets healthy and competitive before he gets hurt for good.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I thought it was the counter clockwise thing. But, the Michelin tire issue makes sense. He’s not the only one by a long shot that have had issues with the MotoGP tire suppliers product. Michelin needs to up their game, especially when a fellow Frenchman semi calls them out. And, Michelin damned sure doesn’t want to cost that kid a championship. It would be ugly in Frogville.

BigBird likes this.
  12. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I think that anyone that doubts the level of challenge Marc is still facing physically, the incredible things he is still doing on that bike, the physical handicap he is still under, and that young man's determination just needs to watch the opening 30 seconds of the post race press conference. Marc tires to open a water bottle with his right hand ..... and can't. He has to open it with his teeth. Literally tries and can't break it loose. Watch that and then go back and watch what he does on that Honda vs Pecco and the Duc. Speechless honestly.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Mav didn't show up.
    To beat Rossi by 5 seconds, pro-rated over the 20+ laps means he was only turning lap times that were 0.25/sec faster at 20 laps, and lower than that since there were 28(?) laps in the race.

Granted he's got to start somewhere, but not really a point to crow about, IMO.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

To say nothing about being crashed out of 3 of the first 5 races. That doesn't happen and Dani finishes top5 for sure (and maybe doesn't retire). A very apples-oranges comparison.

BigBird likes this.
  15. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

So are pretty much all rider to rider comparisons since there are always large variables, unless they are on the same team

BigBird likes this.
  16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Anyone else catch Fabio dropping his air pod in the box pre race? tires my ass.......:)

17. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

I feel like this will happen after the Misano rounds.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Rossi knew he would never gel with the Michelins, so he's had an eye towards his future for the past couple years... his GF and a mini Rossi on the horizon. His goal is to make it through the season without F-ing himself up physically. I don't like to see him riding at 99%, but I understand. Things are pretty dangerous at the tail end of the pack.

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I think his point was that no matter what bike Mav rides, he's still faster than Rossi.

20. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So are they just insinuating that there is inconsistent quality in the tires? I mean that sure is what it sounds like. That's a major problem if true but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time a tire manufacturer supplied inconsistent product to a premier level series.