1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica at V.I.R.

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., May 13, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haven't seen anyone dis his riding or talent.

In this instance I am absolutely calling him out for not telling the truth about this particular crash.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My guess is it was the combination of both crashes.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on what information control was getting and the potential for the initial rider down to get up and out of the way. Too many variables and not enough information from just the tv footage to say more than when the other two went down the red was absolutely the correct call.

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

More interesting is the silence from Bobby and the Warhorse Team. I'm sure there were some serious phone conversations yesterday ....

418, Dragginass and noles19 like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He did say that, but he should have also known he couldn't pass there at those speeds without running out of asphalt. Especially given his immense experience and talent and track knowledge.

kirk erlinger and 418 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I bet. Can't see this playing out in what, 48 hours or so since he fell down. Hopefully everyone will calm down and then make decisions.

7. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

Fong was there since he's working for Alpinestars these days. He's racing the bagger series but I'm sure if HSBK offered him the ride and it paid he'd do it but you gotta look at what's best for you long term and a steady job with Astars is the better option since HSBK hasn't renewed a rider beyond 1 season since they were just running an AMA team.

8. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

There's a fundamental difference between the way America treats first response and the Europeans, which I think is playing a part in the perception of things since outside of MA, the broadcast response shown at racing follows the European though process.

This is based on military casualty evacuation differences between the US and UK, which I spent quite a lot of time doing. In general:
    -The European model is to bring the ER to the point of injury. The thought process is getting the maximum care to the person as early as possible. So UK helos carry surgeons and basically have a small ER in the back of a Chinook. On a racetrack there is a small army of workers that run out to haul the bike off and attend to the rider.
    -The American model is to do the minimum required to stabilize the patient and speed them to the actual hospital. Theory is fancy procedures done in the field are rarely truly helpful, and are usually either a waste of time or actually harmful. More people in the field exposes more people to the initial danger and is a poor allocation of resources. So on the track, if the bike isn't in the way, we'll get it later; if the rider is ok and can walk out of the impact zone they should do that so the workers are available if something worse happens.

I'm told there is data to support the US model. I'm sure there is also data to support the EU model.
    They both have a logic to them. One makes people watching feel better.

lopitt85, Thistle, Sudowoodo and 4 others like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't hear or read a lot of "I should have known not to try this" from anyone in racing. Unless someone hits you, that's pretty much implied by the fact that you crashed.

Sunscreen likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, there is a fundamental difference in the amount of workers they can afford to hire or can get to volunteer - either way even at a GP race there are areas where the workers simply cannot get to quickly. The perception issue is a lot of people seem to be believing his statement as truth when it is not.

I do get the inherent differences and agree they have pluses and minuses. And while all of that is great but has nothing to do with a situation where the rider was not injured. You don't bring the ER to an uninjured rider in Europe.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, but many while not saying it do not then turn around and try to blame the rider who just beat them in a race for being a slower rider or blame the track for them running out of room exiting a turn.

Dragginass likes this.
  12. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Rumor has it they are in talks to get 2 factory techs to try and fix problems the hsbk guys can't.

BigBird likes this.
  13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Moto America follows the FIM medical protocol, so if the protocol was followed, there would be no difference.

G 97 likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Okay, I guess I'll shut up until I see his entire original message. Because the one that I read in this thread does not say that.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmmm, I'll have to go look, I know I saw the slower rider part somewhere but the rest could be me being dumb and believing others rather than his own actual words.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Even assuming that he did say "slower rider," I wouldn't trust him to know the new ones between that and "slowing rider." Unless his English has improved dramatically since the last time I heard an interview.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay I had to quote that just for the new ones versus nuance and totally agree on the translation stuff - I was even saying that originally and got sidetracked with the online race control experts. I'm not arguing with him at this point or really even disagreeing with what he said other than the two minutes - which is understandable as time slows when you're crashing and I think it slows more the faster you are going.

18. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

See now that is an interesting point that I think a lot of people have missed. If the original statement or tweet or whatever was written in Italian which I assume it was, a lot may have been lost in translation. For example “a couple of minutes” in English is a random amount of time but when translated into another language becomes 2 minutes exactly. Perhaps he only meant that he was lay8ing there for a bit. I’m sure it felt much longer to him than it actually was.
    Also if he was trying to pass for position at the line then the rider in front slowed after the checkered flag it could have easily stood him up as the track kinks right. Perhaps he is not used to riders shutting the throttle at the flag.
    Just a couple possibilities other than that Petrucci is a raging asshole conclusion that some have jumped to. It may also be possible that he is getting some bad social media posting advice.
    As for some of the other comments on here, the dude is thousands of miles from anyone who he gives a shoot about and vice versa, in a country where he barely speaks the language and apparently living in Pittsburg (enough to depress anyone). He’s riding a street bike for the first time in a decade on tires he’s never used and tracks he’s never seen, with a new team, rules, etc, and he’s leading the championship despite 2(?) DNFs. Hardly getting his ass handed to him. Hahahaha

R1Racer99, Thistle and henry_carlson like this.
  19. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Nah, I really hoped Petrucci would come here like Elias. Battle our guys, raise the bar, and simultaneously prove we have some really fast guys in our SBK class....and bring international interest in the series.

Instead, ever since COTA, he's done nothing but bitch. I guess it's just "coincidence" that the bitching magically coincides with him getting beat by multiple riders, straight up?

TLR67 and 418 like this.
  20. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing really. I'm just saying even following FIM protocol (as Cop pointed out, which I assume is being done) and unlimited resources, given the underlying medical philosophy differences (not to mention track layout differences) it would still look different here. But I digress.

What I'm poking at is perception control on the part of MA.
    How often do you see an uninjured rider walking off the track giving a thumbs up to the corner worker who then either grabs the bike or turns around after starting in that direction?
    No one saw the UTV meeting Petrucci and giving him a ride, you always see that on the GP/WSBK broadcast.
    People who are squawking (again social media) aren't experts. They mostly don't know how track direction works at all. What they do know is what they see on the GP/WSBK broadcast. Those announcers know really quickly if someone crashes. If that rider is particularly popular, they make sure to show video of them getting up and safely walking away or being tended to by medical.

Instead, we got: Petrucci posts something that essentially reinforces an uneasy feeling that a casual fan had at the end of the race when the announcers didn't know where Petrucci went. No closure.

At the end of the day, MA is an entertainment show and perception matters. Even if we're talking about the perception of people who don't know anything. And Petrucci has a huge social media presence (for a motorcycle racer).