1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motard conversion on the cheap

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

So I've got a KTM 250sxf. I'm toying with the idea of going full motard with it. Wheels, fork height, and gearing seem to be the big items. What else am I missing? And what's a good safe but inexpensive wheel manufacturer to look for? I guess the spacing on the hubs is the real thing to look for compatibility wise. Do brakes need spacers generally or do they typically work with the stock setup?

And does anybody know if you can get a KTM titled for the street? From what I can tell some say the title says off road use only, while others say it's no problem as long as it has the required equipment.

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

titling depends on the state... i got my KTM 450SMR street titled when i lived in Ohio.

wheels, brakes, suspension. warp 9 makes great wheels that won't break the bank.

you can use your stock caliper with a larger rotor and a rotor bracket if you don't want to spring for the big caliper setup.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

warp 9 for the cheapest wheels, but you can look for used because ktm used the same hubs from like 98 until atleast 2015.
    brakes you can get a way with just a 320 rotor and relocation bracket. like a ebc contour kit, but again you can look for used since you have a ktm.
    As far as the title goes it depends where you live, you can do what is called the north dakota trick where you register it in north dakota you'll receive the plate etc. then can take that and get a plate for your own state.
    Although unless you're in a urban city or twisty mountains i wouldn't want to use a 250f on the street..

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Street Legal would just be a nice to have. Track days or the Herrin Compound would be where's I tard it up.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Where do you live?

Rob860 likes this.
  7. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

GA is kind of a crap shoot. Outside the Clean Air Act counties it's easier. Depends on who you get. If you get a stickler that goes over every detail of every page then they'll turn it down. Get someone that doesn't care or at 4:55 on a Friday you might be able to sneak it through.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Georgia, metro Atlanta area.

9. sowega

sowega #710

Don't even worry about a tag, then. Just blend into the 25-30 dirtbikes that hoon around every Sunday; the cops aren't particularly interested in pulling them over.

10. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

The cops here in Baltimore aren't even allowed to chase off-road bikes. I ride my non-tagged KTM525 around town with no issues.

I do need to get a tag for it at some point since it has a street title.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Yeah? I was pulled off my xr100 on the shop driveway apron by 2 cops who jumped out of a minivan after they ran over the curb to block me. After everything got cleared up, I told the one cop he was lucky I didn't have a gun, because I probably would have shot him add he stepped out. 2 BIG black cops.

I also go grabbed in the parking lot across from the old bike shop in mt vernon, test riding my xr the night I finished putting the bbr kit in it. Cops came flying into the lot, jumped out of marked car and told me to shut the bike off and get off of it. I kindly explained it had no kickstand, and I wasn't going to lay it on the ground because I didn't want to damage it..

Again, after explaining, everything was fine. But both times I was just feet from my door.

I think you're taking a bit of a risk.

Just put a plate on it you hillbily.