1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Moonshiners" Josh Owens, Racer?

Discussion in 'General' started by motojoe_23, Feb 13, 2013.

1. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

So co-worker is watching that Moonshiners show. There is a guy on there (younger guy, late thirties at best, but probably younger) named Josh Owens. Co-worker was reading the Wiki on it, and it says Josh was a "former professional superbike and motocross racer.

So I tried to find him. Never heard of him, so was curious. Cant find anything.

Anyone know who he is?

From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshiners_(TV_series)

The Josh and Bill group are working on an underground still at the site of a music festival in South Carolina in season 2, inspired by their deceased friend Barney Barnwell's dream of building such a still:

Josh: A lumberjack, biker, and moonshiner who splits his time between South and North Carolina. Long before he became a moonshiner, Josh had a career as a professional superbike and motocross racer. He now sometimes rides a motorcycle with his dog "Cutie Pie" riding on the handlebars.
    Bill: A man who, when not making moonshine with Josh, plays fiddle with several local country music bands. He also plays guitar, banjo, and drums. Bill grew up in North Carolina, but now lives in South Carolina.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

Don't know about road racing, but he definitely raced some NC hare scrambles. And, iirc, Owens isn't his real last name.

3. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

He reminds me of Ben Bostrom:

[​IMG]

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

That fukker is goofy as fuck!

5. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

He does look like BBoz! That is funny. I guess he went from wine making to moonshine!!!

6. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Too smart to be a racer :crackup:

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

In attempt to get me to give a shit about Moonshiners, my brother told me one if the guys used to be a motorcycle racer. I found this when I was looking it up before.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/TV-show-Moonshiners-and-MX,1249709

http://www.yourrace.com/cgi-bin/gen...ints=T&sid=4yxH3O3BK2lC97c-32113387166.a9&#13

http://www.yourrace.com/cgi-bin/gen...l_points=T&sid=4yxH3O3BK2lC97c-55113387166.11

http://www.racer-results.net/results/gncc/2004/class.asp?e=22&c=43&s=5&r=5

Never found anything that confirmed he ever roadraced.

8. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

so in harescrambles he was a B or C class rider? That is a LONG way from "pro Motocross".

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Like everything else about that show, I'm sure it isn't true.

10. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

no different than some of the folks here claiming to be "pro" roadracers. :D

11. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Sure it is.

There are a lot of different peoples definitions of what makes a "pro" racer.

NONE of those include a racer who was not even "top tier" in his race org.

I have seen people say qualifying for a pro license, means you are pro.

Some say getting paid to race makes you a pro. Does that mean make a living or being paid? If just being paid hell I am a pro. (I dont claim to be pro).

Some say making the grid or finishing a pro race makes you a pro (that is the line I use personally... finishing a pro race).

Some say running a full season in a pro race.

:Some say making a living.

I guess it all depends.

He could have tried to make the grid in Atlanta SX I guess... who knows I guess.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, a lot of those definitions - actually more of them include a LOT of riders who were never top or even top 5 of their race org.... Hell, some people who are "pro" by those definitions didn't even do top 5 regional Expert.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Pro is short for professional, no? As in it is your profession, with which you make a living?

14. RevRacing

RevRacing Well-Known Member

Aaaaand we're off.....

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

:D I wish Skip was here for it.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, it's short for professional as in something you get paid to do. :D

17. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: yep, I don't think joe caught what I was saying.

18. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

:crackup:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jrod - I know you nuked it but what the hell :D

My own personal opinion is someone who has the ability to do it for a living. Whether that ability is more prevalent in selling themselves or on the track is a moot point. However, just having a pro license doesn't prove to me you're a pro racer which is what Todd and I are essentially making fun of. There are a number of riders out there who aren't all that good on track in the grand scheme of racing calling themselves pros and even spending all their time running pro events because they can't actually win club events...

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

However, it does prove that you are an expert racer.