1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini racing a grom!

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Dragginass, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm much higher than that, I want to say I was around 20psi... I'll have to put a gauge on it tonight to see.

2. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

i ran 16 cold on warm days in mt BT45s... i have run as low as 14 cold when we raced in sub 40 temps...

i tried the Pirelli fronts when the BTs were on backorder... not a horrible tire, but, trying to find a pressure that would give any grip right out of the pits was tricky... once the pace picked up, they were not up to the task...

anyway, back to the original topic of the thread... i put the Grom on a tight 1/2 mile, 10 turn, stop and go kart track this weekend... i was 3 seconds a lap slower than front running pace on my XR... the Grom is way overgeared... never got deep into third... found out a XR50 front sprocket fits... dropped a tooth after lunch and turned the exact times... it is just too heavy and accelerates too slow to run up front with a fast rider on an XR... the front suspension is waaaay too soft as well... bottomed out going into the turns and chattering on the exit... i was a little surprised at how slow it was...

but, i am all in on the Grom... sold my XR last week to fund the suspension/tires/sprocket/bars/pipe/intake/etc. that the CMRA allows... once that gets sorted and we head to bigger kart tracks, i should be right there... and the big track shenanigans are only getting better... 2 more were purchased in the last 24 hours and another on the way... we should have 12+ on the grid at ECR in a few weeks... here are the trophies shooting for...

Attached Files:

• ECR.jpg
      ECR.jpg
      File size:
      132.6 KB
      Views:
  3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

that is awesome, throw up a build thread on here

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

So in the last month and a half, your take has changed from this:
    to this:
    To this:

I agree with you that it has a prayer on bigger tracks. The tallest I have ever geared my XR100 is 14/46... Barely breaks 50mph.

5. jwb

dude... my "take" is based off of actually showing up and racing... when i get more data i have posted it... on big tracks the XR100 is hampered by top speed... on tight kart tracks it is not...

like i said in my post after taking it to an extremely tight kart track, i was shocked at how much slower i was over a full lap on the stock Grom... that is a not a "take"... that is real live experience i was relaying... now, i did walk away from a slow guy on my old XR, but, i was 3 seconds slower than my lap times on the XR...

we are going to a kart track later this month that is considerably more wide open with a straight that is easy 3 times as long as the tight one... even in stock form, i think the Grom will be a little faster... when i show up in with it in race trim, i doubt the XRs will be able to tell which way i went...

i get it... you don't want a Grom... don't buy one...

6. jwb

7. jwb

8. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^^ OMG ...... I need to take a mini or Grom on ECR lol

9. jwb

just because i like to beat things to death...

Grom Challenge trophies for MSR

FOUR81 Motos FTMFW!

Attached Files:

• MSR.jpg
      MSR.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
  10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

we had a total of 1 Grom show up to the Eastern Mini Roadracing Championship at PIRC this past weekend. It was a spectator's bike that they were using to get around the pits...

I didn't get a total rider count from the race day, but I know there were over 60 riders in practice the day prior.

I qualified fifth out of thirty in the stock XR class, and then wrecked twice in the feature. d'oh!

11. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

I think a large part of the CMRA Grom Challanges' success is the hard work Ryan Andrews has done to promote and be a constant supporter of. They are an expensive mini and that may limit their appeal away from large urban centers but as more get out on the screets there will be more on the tracks. BTW Kevin Bradford was able to step up and keep Ryan behind him this time, a first for him and he is proud of it! Bring out more food for the beast guys.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

1 wave launch ? We had an 10 bike grid at Herrins and I was turning some good laps til I got into a braking duel with someone into 1 and boom...lol.
    My leathers left a nice solid stripe!

13. jwb

Took the Grom to Norman kart track... We ran the confit where all the corners open up and you can maintain speed... I was 1.5 seconds faster on the Grom than the XR... Stock pads proved to be an issue... The brakes were getting cooked... Looking for a more aggressive alternative...

14. jwb

Grom Challenge grid at MSR this weekend... would have been one more if I had not broken myself off in practice...

Attached Files:

15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

looks like that novice jumped the start pretty badly! He's the only one in the picture with both feet on the pegs.

16. jwb

Grom Challenge from TWS this past weekend... 19 on the grid... 6 other bikes were not there for a variety of reasons... shit is getting serious down here...

Attached Files:

17. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Three of the six bikes that show up at East Lansing Kart track last week were Groms!

Man mine needs suspension I was dragging pegs everywhere! Still taking it easy.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah, CMRA had a ton of them this weekend. Looking like I may pick one up for next year.

19. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

What tires are you guys running?