1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Markets gonna be brutal tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by CorollaDude, Aug 7, 2011.

1. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

So what steps have some of you done to protect your portfolio since 2008's shock wave?

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I got four more yrs to ride out this wave, haven't done much about it. And considering how much of a loss I took 2_ yrs ago, I'm glad I didn't bail cuz I got all of it back......(talking bout my 457b, not stocks btw)

3. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

I've continued with my same strategy and made sure I rebalanced my portfolio when its out of balance. I have many years to retirement so I can ride this latest 'crisis' in the market.

Dawn :beer:

4. PEKENG

PEKENG Well-Known Member

Invest with each pay through payroll deduction with company kicking in $1.80 for every $ I put up. Dollar cost averaging...long way till retirement.

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

To "protect".....? You don't win or make money with defense. Sure you can protect gains but that would have been done in very early 2008.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Dow futures down 200, S&P 22, NASDAQ 37.

Not a bloodbath, but not great. Good time to buy. Lots of cash is on the sidelines waiting to come into the market. Mid Caps are where I'd go.

7. STT-Rider

I sold every mid cap the third week in July.... Still a little shy of them, think they are still a bit off the bottom with a ways down still to go... I'm still gonna bottom fish some larger companies.

8. PEKENG

PEKENG Well-Known Member

Ford at 52 week low $10.76, 1 yr projection $19. Double your money??? Opinions?

9. STT-Rider

Sold Ford at $18.05... left a bit on the table but not much, going back again for sure.

10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Most of mine is in overseas investments at this point. They've dipped some too, but they'll come back faster, I think.

My US investments are supplemented by company matches and such. That money won't be hit as hard.

11. PEKENG

PEKENG Well-Known Member

Anyone watching SNC:TO?? SNC Lavalin Inc.?? Split 3:1 3 or 4 times in the last 15 years, twice in the last 6. Not saying they're due for a split but their backlog looks good, 2nd quarter results just released were positive.

12. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

And of course the blame game continues.....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/07/blame-game-vitriol-demonstrates-sp-disgust/

"I believe this is without question the Tea Party downgrade," said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. "This is the Tea Party downgrade because a minority of people in the House of Representatives countered even the will of many Republicans in the United States Senate who were prepared to do a bigger deal."

Damn that Tea Party and their demand for fiscal responsibility! :rolleyes:

13. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I keep my money in weed.
    It keeps growing.

14. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Would not be at all surprised to see another "Flash Crash" of about a couple thousand points in a matter of minutes...

Too Big To Fail has grown into Too Big To Save.

15. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Food, ammo, gas. The new investment grade commodities.

16. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm thinking add to that - start scrounging for sheet metal to cover my vehicle and learning to like canned dog food, cuz civilization is gonna start looking like the Road Warrior movies if this keeps up.

17. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Okay...any Bank of America buyers out there? I know BAC has fundamental problems in addition to the overall market, i.e AIG's $10B lawsuit, etc.

But any bottom feeders on here have any opinion on buying this stock?