1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mandate Chest Protectors

Discussion in 'General' started by OldGuyOnBlu, Nov 17, 2013.

1. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Although I did not regularly race with WERA, I am on a campaign to have ALL the race sanctioning bodies and track day organizations mandate the use of chest protectors.

Below is a letter to the editor I wrote that is in the December issue of Roadracing World.

Racing and even track days, particularly at the intermediate and advanced levels, inherently carries significant risk, but that risk can be reduced. True, we can all make that personal choice, but if we want to see our sport succeed and grow we also need to recognize that has a body we need to make it as safe as possible.

Please consider pressuring the organizations you ride with and raise your collective voices.
    john

Dear Editor,

I read with interest the article entitled The Last Frontier on chest protectors in the October 2013 issue.

I suffered serious chest injuries in a racing incident on June 2. If I had not been wearing a chest protector (an Impact Safe-t Armor device) there is a high probability I would not be writing this today.

I had gone without a chest protector for years. In September 2011 I had a relatively minor crash and broke a couple of ribs. My racing friend Sam Williams (whom I’m sure many of your readers know) gave me a bit of a lecture about the value of a chest protector. He convinced me to get one. I am obviously thankful that he did, as is my family.

On September 14th a very good friend of mine was involved in a bad crash during a practice session and was taken to a local hospital and then flown to a Level I trauma center with chest injuries. He too was wearing a chest protector and is probably alive today because of it.

It is time for sanctioning bodies to make chest protectors mandatory, just as they did a generation ago with back protectors.

Sincerely,
    John Noel Bartlett
    OGOBRacing

2. I agree.

A rider died due to internal injuries at a track day at Tally about 4 years ago. Obviously nobody knows for sure if he would still be alive or not if he would have been wearing a chest protector, but his odds would have been better.

Personally, I think if you are on the track (or the street IMO, but that is a different subject), you should be wearing a chest and back protector.

I have never bought into the "I just ride in Novice, so I don't need a...." line of thinking. When you impact something, your body doesn't care what color sticker was on your fender. FWIW, my worst crash to date was in my very first track day ever, riding in the Novice group. I was struck by somebody going into The Bowl at Tally. I was knocked unconscious for 30min and had multiple injuries. I am glad I had the same way of thinking back then and was wearing as much safety gear as possible. It could have been worse.

3. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

I don't understand why someone would choose not to wear both a chest protector, and some sort of neck protection (in addition to a back protector). However, I am not sure that it should be mandated, as adults we have the ability, and the choice to measure the calculated risk vs reward. I believe that these safety devices be strongly encouraged, but not mandated...

4. I can understand where you are coming from, but where do you draw the line? I mean, if we are going to follow that way of thinking...then why require a back protector? Or gloves? Or proper boots?

5. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

If you mandate it and a rider wrecks, is severely injured, and is found to not be wearing one, it kinda paves the way for liability. One reason not to "mandate" it.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what kind of neck protection are you using? Leatt brace?

7. Has that happened with a back protector?

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Um maybe someone with expertise in liability will answer, but Im pretty sure the hold harmless waiver you sign is stronger than any equipment mandate/suggestion/tech issue or liability claims.

9. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm not sure, I'm not in a position to have that information. That said, even if it ends up happening and is a completely frivolous (sp?) suit, it will still cost money to defend.

Note: I'm simply stating a possible reason to not mandate it. I wear one either way.

http://www.eqgroup.com/Library/helmet1.htm

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  10. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I dont wear a chest protector. I dont like how they fit. I've tried 3 different ones. So please, mandate your personal decisions and not mine.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

No. I wear one. I've worn one since I started on the track. That said I believe it should be encouraged and the info should be given out. But mandate?

I want to mandate full tech inspections everytime you go out on the track. Sorry for the hour delay for your inspection and that doesn't include the wait time. Btw you need new tires each time you go out and you only get 3 laps on them before coming in.

12. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Have you tried the custom hard protection that Colin Edwards uses? I've heard good things about the fit and protection. They are a little spendy though.

13. Maybe they should only be encouraged and not mandated. But how are people differentiating between chest and back protectors?

Was there all of this "it's my life, I can do what i want with it" kind of talk when back protectors were initially madated?

14. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I believe that since they're under the leathers and technically you can stuff one in the zippered compartment of the suit, there are people who don't wear them. They probably don't raise a huge fuss about it though. Oh, and I think they were required before 2008. :Poke:

15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I bought extra armor that Alpinestars sold that fits into pockets within the chest of my Alpinestars suit. It is quite possible I would not be here today if I did not have that in place during my June 1 crash. They were made to go with the suit and barely noticeable when on the bike.

16. As sad as it is, you are probably right.

I know, that is why i asked the question. :moon:

Those kinds of comments come about anytime something is instituted, anywhere, that used to be a personal choice. Back protectors, helmets, seat belts. There are always people who are like "bullshit, you aren't the boss of me!".

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

That's because you're a fat ass....

18. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Very true...and I've got big ol titties. :)

In general I think that chest protectors are encouraged. Hell, I encourage them....I just dont wear one. lol

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm adding a chest protector and a front brake lever guard for 2014. Sorry, but I don't buy the "I don't like how it feels" line of crap. That's purely a self discipline issue. I sure don't like wearing body armor every day at work, but I'll put up with the discomfort over taking a round.

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

one potential side affect if you mandate chest protectors. Just about every suit I know has a pocket or space for the back protectors. they are pretty standard safety equipment these days..

I know in my suit (older suit) that I have tried and I have a very hard time fitting my back and a chest protector into my existing suit.

if there was a new rule about having to wear a chest protector, I'd also have to pony up for a new suit. big $$.

not to say that it's not a bad thing, I need to replace both. I wear an alpine star BNS pressure suit off road, and have the BNS brace as well for off road use. I wear the suit under my street jacket, but there's not way to make it fit under my leathers..

maybe a better approach would be to say in a year or two we will mandate it, but for now we highly recommend it. that gives folks time to make a purchasing decision or build up to it..

just a thought. I agree totally with the reasoning though.