1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making chili. what beer to use? good recipes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Making some chili tomorrow morning.

anybody have some good recipes?

what beer do you guys use? (i dont know squat about beer)

2. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

Do you put beans in your chili or are you one to call that beef stew?

This is pretty good
    1 pound ground beef + chili powder (do not precook zee meat )
    1 yellow onion diced (medium sized)
    1 shallot diced (larger size)
    3-4 pressed garlic cloves
    1 can black beans, drained
    1 can red beans, drained
    1/2 bottle of Elysian Original Red (The Men's Room) beer
    1 jar of Pace picante sauce
    1/2 jar of Trader Joe's Corn & Chili

You could use something more local to you like shiner bock if you can't find the red

3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I use beans.

I will try that. Thanks!

should i use shiner bock or shiner black?

I assume to not use shiner blonde?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I do product development and consulting in the Restaurant/Foodservice industry and before that I was a Corporate Chef for a medium sized ownership group with 13 locations with varied outlet styles - Pubs, upper casual, BBQ, etc... We did testing on beers with proteins and universally we agreed, none of us could tell an appreciable difference between them provided they were in the same category ie: one lager from another, one stout from another. In most cases we couldn't even tell if an item was cooked with a specific beer style, let alone the difference in brands. The one recipe we did approve though was for beer with fresh mussels and that one for some reason was highly sensitive to which flavor of beer it was paired with, likely because it wasn't a braising process but more of a quick reduction and pot deglazing so it never had much time to burn off or break down in the other liquids.

Having said all that, it's been my experience that for chili the meat and seasoning combo is by far the most important two things to nail down. I like to braise down a chuck flat or short rib in some veal stock or demi glace and then add it to a mirepoix/roasted poblano mixture that gets seasoned with the toasted spices and sweated down. Once that all makes friends in a pot I'll reduce and further deglaze with a Guinness or oatmeal stout , add more stock, some beans (if you're a bean person, real chili has none, I know...) and then to eat I'm a traditionalist so I just throw on some minced onion, a little sour cream or creme fraiche, maybe some pico de gaillo and have at it.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

NO beans and use cheap canned bear. wing the rest of it for what you like.

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

so if i have venison, buffalo, wagyu and grassfed angus at hand...what would you suggest to use (i have all cuts and have a butchershop on the property with a good grinder/chopper)? maybe a combo of some or all?

7. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

which cheep canned beer?

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Just grab some PBR or whatever costs around $5 a six. Really, don't over think it. Chili is chili, it's what you want to put in it.

Hell man, if you like red wine, skip the beer and just braise the beef in the red wine and go with it.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Where do you get canned bear ? :Poke: :crackup:

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

From your mother. :D Oh, she told me to tell you to call more often and to stop jerking off, you'll go blind.

11. younglion

Any naturally lean red meat like buffalo, venison, lower grade beef, rabbit, kangaroo, etc... all lend themselves best to braising - as you know. Personally the last thing I'd use Wagyu for is chili, unless it was a conversation piece at a high end reception or something Hollywood like that. Of what you listed, if you have braising cuts of the bison or venison, I'd use those two first. I wouldn't ground or chop it down to much, just slowly braise the hell out of it and shred it like pulled pork or dice it in 1" cubes and then leave them that size once they've reached the desired tenderness.

As for the recipe part, I've read your posts here so you know your way around a kitchen so I don't have to bore you with how to sweat a mirepoix, how to roast peppers, or how to toast your spices.

A Chef friend of mine marinates his beef in crushed pineapple overnight first then sears it off with some pork fat and then braises it all down - I call it Hawaiin style chili!

12. caferace

caferace No.

Finland.

[​IMG]

Next question?

-jim

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I prefer to use ground moose and a stout. I can get canned bear here, except it is put up by the locals, so it is actually jarred. I find the black bear to be much more palatable than the grizzly. Neither one is my preference for chili, since once it is canned the meat loses much of its integrity. Caribou works well, too.

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

ok, scratch the wag.

thanks!

15. madman

madman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I made some "cowboy deer chili" the other day for the first time in a big cast skillet and it was delicious. Lighter on the taters and corn and heavier on the meat. No beans (hate them), bout half a bottle of Yuengling and I played with the spices a tad. Venison was frozen for a year and it still came out delicious.

Leftovers made some badass deer tacos. MMM MMM.

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

that looks like it would make one hell of a breakfast hash.

17. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

That does look good, and I'm not a real fan of deer......bison, cow, yes and yes....

you guys are making me hungry. :D

18. younglion

THIS!!!

Add in a couple over easy eggs, bacon - obviously!, smother the whole dam skillet in hollandaise and die a happy carnivore!

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You guys have me thinking about chili at 3am!
    Probably my favorite food:up:

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

mine also.
    today is my cheat day. I am gona eat chili no less than 6 times!

and about 1.5 hours of HIIT to balance it out. :D