1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MA 2023 Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 29, 2022.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Not sure if I agree with this part. After looking back at both your results, you 2 were closer than I remembered but if I remember correctly, you started running your own team well before him and continue to do so after he stopped doing so. The fact you're still going speaks some volumes. The one thing I think he may have been better at is the marketing aspect just because as an outsider who knows neither of you personally, I was far more aware of KW's team, efforts, inner workings, etc. just because of how it was marketed and well, as you see from my posts here, I knew less about yours despite your on track results being very similar.

2. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

People don't believe that a self-sustaining SBK effort is possible because it is rare. It is rare because it is insanely difficult. There must be some angel investor, settlement or family backing to explain why it can be, no?

The reality is that it is constant cash-flow management and suppression of fear of debt or fear of failure and compartmentalizing the risk vs. what you believe in. And I'm just talking about the financial/business risk. Not much different from starting any small business. The difference here is that by the time you grid up it's like you've just finished a marathon - you ain't exactly fresh and ready to go when you reach round one.

Sponsorship sales revenue, and premier entry, are your business income and then you just go to work with what you have. I never sold services as a race shop - it was just me and my boy Dave Hopkinson building a superbike in my garage in AZ. I always tried to make the team appear bigger than it was. I prioritized the look of the team and probably spent more money on that than my equipment at times but that was my model that generated more interest from sponsors year over year, that then I could invest in race equipment.

Few would be willing to start the season not knowing if you'll make it to the end or not and that's what was the case for me and I'm sure has been the case for Dave many times. You just believe it will work and you find a way to generate the income throughout the season to make it.

I'm excited for Dave this year and the promise of his new investment. It's the same thing I would have done in 2022 had Harley not came and swept me off my feet.

3. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

I blame the fundraisers. I'll work on Jersey Mike's ;)

Shenanigans and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, problem is that they also do fundraisers for youth sports locally. :D

enough with my trap flapping, good luck this year.

5. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Since I paint for the Ulrich's, that team is a shit show!
    And I mean that in a very positive way. CU does well putting all the pieces in place and is solid under stressful situations. JU is a very resourceful dude that helps a ton. Their riders reflect the effort.
    What may seem a simple effort for me to run Twins, is also a shit show! But, we make it happen and I applaud anyone , especially a sbk effort, at running and funding their own team.
    Cheers!!

6. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

For the love of all things sacred, it's a HOAGIE. Any chain with the word sub in their name is crap!

Shenanigans and backbone like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I dropped hoagie years ago but I hear ya’. :D

8. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

But you have Beth and she’s freaking awesome!!

exracer941 likes this.
  9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I often wondered who would finish better.
    A decent rider with a smaller budget or an average rider with a huge budget?

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Average rider and huge budget

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Have you heard of Haiden Deegan?

5axis, renegade17 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Chris Ulrich will be on the Trackdaz Youtube live stream this Wednesday Feb 1st starting at 930pm EDT. https://www.youtube.com/@TrackDaz
    Anyone can watch the show but if you have a Youtube Google account (it's free) you can give CU your expert advice or you can ask questions in the live chat.

kirk erlinger, Shenanigans and evakat like this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Can I call in and embarrass Little Chris? :D
    Little shit that used to hold the pit board for team Suzuki endurance. :crackup:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Nailed it!!

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Huh, are you locally challenged? It could be a Hoagie, or a Submarine aka sub, or a Cheese Steak, or a Grinder so you just need to get out more?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Grinder is New England and also stupid! :D
    I’m originally from hoagie but moved to sub. Never was or will be a grinder. :D

17. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

19. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Feb 1 is international women in sports day and it should air between 10 and 11am tomorrow on NBC proper.

you can watch live with a tv provider - https://www.nbc.com/schedule

koth442 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Except who the f@ck wants to watch Hoda & crew talk about their feelings all show.
    I have it set to record .

tl1098, Letitsnow and Once a Wanker.. like this.