1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low VOC paint - (yet another f*cking paint thread)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Focker, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Looking to paint my spare bodywork over the winter. It's been a few years since I last painted. I've used both HOK and the Custom Shop house brand from TCP Global.

My new house has the garage attached to the house and my wife gets pissed at the paint fumes. Does anyone know if using the low VOC paints are less smelly? My google-fu seems to bring up conflicting results.

HOK has the ability to mix VOCs that are even lower than California standards. I wear a respirator, I just don't want to stink up my house/make my kids even weirder than they already are.

Thoughts?

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Heck, we paint forklifts with Cali paint. When my guy puts a freshly painted one inside the shop, I smell it in the office and don't really like it.

I would think your best bet is to tape clear plastic sheeting, you buy at the hardware store, over the door from the house to the garage, and go in and out through the front door, until the smell is gone.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Another trick is to aim the vent fan to draw air from the house through the garage. You can also set up a paint booth with visqueen and a house air filter to contain/mitigate fumes (hang the plastic from the ceiling and tape the fan and filter into opposite sides). But I think that no matter what paint you use will stink up the house unless you draw the fumes well away from the house.

4. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Less smelly yes but only slightly. It still fuckin stinks errthing up

5. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

OK cool, thanks.

I saw some people put out bowls of baking soda, charcoal etc. to try and absorb as much as possible.