1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of rule changes for AMA in 2014

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 8, 2013.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

2. Most importantly, don't forget the new rule for burnouts. :rolleyes:

3. I gotta say, the changing of the number plates is some silly shit. Maybe I am just missing it, but what exactly does that accomplish? Are they trying to make it more aggravating for the Club racers who want to do 1-off AMA races?

It does seem like many of the changes are geared towards lowering costs. And the changing of the grid setup should make things a little safer.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The plate changes are so when still pictures are published you know the class cause there won't be any commentary to know otherwise

5. It is a good thing they addressed that, because it has been a huge problem.

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Not sure why the cam rule is going back. Trying too slow them down maybe?

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't really agre with the single bike shit BUT if it actually drives down costs then I'll keep my yap shut about it.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Doubling the jump start penalty? Whaddaya gonna do, black flag 'em and make 'em do a hunnert push-ups on the pit-wall and write "I will not shift my weight while on the grid" in blood on their pit board?

9. I dont agree with it either.

I mean, nobody is forcing anybody to have a backup bike. I can see incorporating rules to limit the performance/costs on the track, on the bike you are racing. But how does controlling somebody spare parts help anything?

If you have the means for a backup bike, go for it. If not, then don't. It would hurt people if they somehow forced you to have a backup bike. But preventing people from having one doesnt help anything.

If nothing else, it will just force teams to carry a ton of extra parts...and even extra personnel to assemble the parts (when they could have just jumped on the other bike).

10. Kinda unrelated, but what goes around comes around. Limiting bikes and things like that at the end of the day hurts the vendors and dealers because people will be buying less bikes and less aftermarket parts.

When dealers and vendors make less money...they can't provide as much support. Without that kind of support...some riders won't be able to make the grids. Which in turn, will hurt the AMA.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The one bike rule will cut costs for a team like mine for sure. It will also make it crucial to have a solid and reliable A bike. Increased costs might only be having pre-assembled replacements ready on pit wall in case of a crash, but we had those basically ready on the B bike already. The rule will certainly affect the bigger DSB teams who are used to testing setups on a pair of bikes in practice and qualifying.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Not to mention having wet/dry setups for the ever-changing weather at some events.

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I am not sure the one bike rule is that great for the AMA. Now you have to have a big enough and good enough team to rebuild the bike if you crash in practice. This would certainly penalize any privateer team entering an AMA race by either making them hire / transport / pay for lodging of more folks or risk not being able to rebuild the bike in time for the next on track session. In WSBK that doesn't matter because pretty much all of the teams have the capability to rebuild the bike quickly, so not bringing the second bike would save them some money.

The number plate thing doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If the different class bikes were on track at the same time, like in an endurance race, I could see that it would be a good idea in that case.

14. I see that aspect of it.

But my point was, if a team wanted to cut costs...then just don't have a backup bike. Of course a backup bike is advantageous, but nobody was forcing teams to have one.

When i think of cost cutting measures, i think of things teams/riders HAVE to do in order to be competitive. In other words, you need a motor build and race tires to be competitive. Those things are expensive, but without them you aren't winning. So if they were to say "no more motor builds or race tires", then that would be an immediate cost savings measure.

But you don't HAVE to have a backup bike to be competitive. You can only race 1 bike at a time. I know that sounds sarcastic, but it isnt meant to be. I am just saying that you dont NEED a backup bike to win any given individual race.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Two competent mechanics should be able to repair most any crash damage between sessions. If it's impossible, then tech the second bike in the truck.

16. :stupid:

That is what i was trying to say earlier. It could end up causing more hassle and costing even more money.

17. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 5lb weight increase for 4cyl and 5lb decrease for 2cyl (DSB and SS)
    Then a 10lb increase for 4cyl Superbikes....
    Man, it's almost like 1 manufacturer is running away with all the titles...almost

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And for someone (team) like you is why I'm waiting before I start a my yap a'flappin'.

I need to read the rules again later, after more coffee 'cause I'm actually liking some of them and I must still be asleep because that can't be right. :D

19. Is the schedule finalized with only 6 races? Or are there other dates "TBD"?

If so, that is a HUGE cost saving measure there.

20. BTW - I should have prefaced all of my comments with "I have never owned/operated an AMA team".

All of my comments are FWIW, .02, YMMV and any other disclaimers you can think of.