1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

long term storage

Discussion in 'Tech' started by c7fx, Aug 28, 2008.

1. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

I have two YSR50s that I just don't seem to use much anymore. They are both in perfect condition and would like to keep them that way. What would I need to do to keep them well preserved.

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

The fuel system needs the most help.
    Add some "stabil" and lots of extra oil to the fuel tank and run the engine long enough to be sure that the treated fuel has moved throughout.
    Don't ride it, just rev it until it smokes like a dying motogp bike.
    Then drain all remaining fuel from EVERYTHING, and I mean bone dry drained.
    Tires can be removed and kept in heavy duty plastic bags on a high shelf to keep them off the ground level where ozone accumulates.
    Brakes are tough, flushing with new fluid is a minimum and perhaps after changing fluid, draining them dry as well.
    You could take the clys apart and clean all parts and hose internals with de-natured alcohol, but that's a pain.
    Battery comes out and into trash or Craigs list, don't matter, it will go bad after a while.
    Fork oil can be topped off (wait, does it even have oil in the forks?)
    The trans can be filled to the brim and you can also fill the cly and crankcase with motor oil for LONG storage.
    Stuff dessicant bags in the exhaust..lets see what else?
    Storage prep hinges on how long you intend to store, so different strokes for different folks so to speak...

3. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

I have used Sta-bil what do you do with the fuel tank after draining it? That is my biggest concern only because they are very hard to find

4. Tunersricebowl

There are two ways to deal with it.
    One way is to top it off and seal it up to keep air out of it (after having added extra stabil and 2 smoke oil).
    The other is to drain it bone dry and wash it with de-natured alcohol and after it drys out, stuff dessicant packs in it and keep it inside an air conditioned room.
    The last is best but who wants a fuel tank under the bed for a year or two?
    Again duration of storage changes methods.

5. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

thanks!!

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Dont use STABIL. Seafoam works way better. And if you can get some from a local airport...100LL gas is excellent for storage too.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I've used deisel for pickeling a bike before. Fill the tank and carb with it since it won't gum up like gas.

8. hubert

hubert Active Member

Sorry to hijack, but I've recently retired my 996 from street duty and was curious what you guys suggest for keeping the bike fresh between track days?

I usually go once / month but am most concerned about the gas left in the tank after the last day, as mentioned, a remainder sits for some time before it use the bike again.

I change the oil every 2nd event and usually bleed the brakes with the same frequency; any other tips would be appreciated and again I apologize if I've detracted from the original poster's topic.

9. Tunersricebowl

As long as you keep the tank topped off (with pump gas) and add some brand of stabilizer that should be enough for the fuel system.
    You could add a little 2 smoke oil to the fuel and run the engine to distribute the oil in the clys, valves etc..but then you have a tankfull of 2 smoke fuel to drain later.
    You might consider adding coolant to the cooling system if you run pure (distilled) water.
    Back when you could see the carb inlets, we used to drizzle trans fluid into the intakes with the engine revved up before storage to prevent top end rusting/corroding.
    The byproducts of combustion combined with water vapor form acid and varnish, which are bad inside your engine, so not letting old motor oil sit in the crankcase and introducing oil to the engine top end should be considered.